From the official Iron Maiden website.
Royal Mail today reveals images of 12 new Special Stamps celebrating one of the most legendary rock bands of all time, Iron Maiden.
Iron Maiden become only the fifth music group to feature in a dedicated stamp issue – following on from The Beatles in 2007, Pink Floyd in 2016, Queen in 2020, and the Rolling Stones in 2022.
The main stamp set celebrates Iron Maiden’s live performances, featuring a selection of photos from their world-wide tours across the years, internationally and at home – and feature all current members of the band.
Images range from the 1980s until 2018 and show:
– Steve Harris in Vancouver, June 2010
– Bruce Dickinson at Hammersmith, Odeon, London, May 1983
– Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Steve Harris in Pamplona, September 1988
– Nicko McBrain in Quito, March 2009
– Dave Murray, Bruce Dickinson and Janick Gers in Rio de Janeiro, January 2001
– Adrian Smith and Steve Harris in Helsinki, May 2018
– Iron Maiden at Twickenham Stadium, London, July 2008
– Bruce Dickinson sword fighting with Eddie in Birmingham, August 2018
A further four stamps pay homage to the band’s long-serving mascot and pop-cultural icon in his own right, Eddie, with his own miniature sheet. The stamps show four notorious Eddie artworks, including the latest addition featuring Eddie as a samurai warrior from the recent Senjutsu album.
Shown on the stamps are:
– ‘Iron Maiden’ Eddie: The stare that started it all. Born in 1980 – on the cover of the band’s debut album
– ‘The Trooper’ Eddie: The unforgettable artwork for one of Iron Maiden’s greatest hit singles and, more recently, the logo for their award-winning beer
– ‘Aces High’ Eddie: Reimagined as a fighter pilot for a song honouring the RAF servicemen who defended Britain during the Second World War
– ‘Senjutsu’ Eddie: Samurais, feudal Japan and flashing blades inspired this katana-wielding warrior, from the band’s most recent album
The backdrop of the miniature sheet is taken from Iron Maiden’s first official live album, Live After Death (1985).
Founded in east London in the mid-1970s by songwriter and bassist Steve Harris, Iron Maiden’s decades-spanning career has made them one of the most revered and influential bands of all time. With over 100 million record sales, almost 2,500 live performances across 64 countries and 17 studio albums – including their latest, Senjutsu, released in 2021 – Iron Maiden have remained fearlessly creative and dedicated to their legions of fans for almost half a century.
Iron Maiden founder member and bassist, Steve Harris comments: “We were all absolutely astounded – in a good way! – when we heard first about the commemorative project, and equally pretty much speechless when we saw the stamps for the very first time. They look superb and I think they really capture the essence and energy of Maiden. We’re all very proud that Royal Mail has chosen to honour the band’s legacy like this and we know our fans will feel the same way,”
Iron Maiden manager, Rod Smallwood adds: “As a band who have never played by anyone else’s rules for over 40 years, it’s very gratifying to see them honoured in their home country in this way. We’re proud to show how these six band members are still appealing to more and more fans every year with their music and their legendary shows – which I think these stamps really capture well. It’s also fantastic that Eddie has been honoured too – it’s incredible to think that Her Majesty, may she rest in peace, saw these and lent her iconic silhouette to them too.”
David Gold, Director of External Public Affairs & Policy, Royal Mail, said: “Few bands in the history of rock music can be called bona fide rock legends – but Iron Maiden are just that – and more. With legions of devoted fans of all ages and from every corner of the globe, not only have they changed the way rock music sounds, but they have also changed the way it looks. We fully expect their fans will love these stamps as much as we do.”
Royal Mail collaborated closely with the band members and Phantom Music Management Ltd on the stamp issue.
The band will be back on the road in 2023 with their brand new, The Future Past tour, with dates across the UK and Europe.
The stamps are available to pre-order from today (5 January) at www.royalmail.com/ironmaiden and by phone on 03457 641 641.
The stamps go on general sale from 12 January 2023 with a Presentation Pack containing all 12 stamps priced at £17.70.
Explore eil.com & 991.com sister – the world’s best online store for rare, collectable & out of print Vinyl Records, CDs & Music memorabilia since 1987.
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Iron Maiden - Eddie's Archive - 1st issue + Box - UK - box set - £295.00, $365.80, €336.30 (New Item) (arrived 31-Jan-2023 09:33)on February 1, 2023 at 2:17 am
IRON MAIDEN Eddie's Archive (2002 issue UK limited edition collectors set comprised of three 2-CD sets: BBC Archive, Beast Over Hammersmith and Best Of The B-Sides personally selected by the band, presented in a silver embossed metal casket with blue lining complete with individually numbered Iron Maiden family tree parchment scroll rolled in a Eddie pewter ring plus a Eddie head shot glass. Still housed in original stickered cardboard box, which has been opened but all contents are complete and in near mint condition)
- Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast - Red Vinyl + P/S - EX - UK - 7" vinyl - £35.00, $43.40, €39.90 (New Item) (arrived 12-Oct-2022 10:32)on February 1, 2023 at 2:17 am
IRON MAIDEN The Number Of The Beast (1982 UK limited edition 7" single pressed on Red Vinyl with picture labels and intact four prong centre, also including Remember Tomorrow [recorded live in Italy]. Issued in the paper picture sleeve [which features the classic image of Eddie holding the decapitated head of Satan] which has some minor general wear to the edges and the back and the vinyl remains in excellent condition with just light signs of play EMI5287)
- Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden + Obi & Insert - Japanese - vinyl LP - £85.00, $105.40, €96.90 (New Item) (arrived 19-Sep-2022 09:14)on February 1, 2023 at 2:17 am
IRON MAIDEN Iron Maiden (1980 Japanese 8-track vinyl LP, the debut album including the singles Running Free & Sanctuary, picture sleeve complete with fold-out Japanese text biography/lyric insert & silver obi-strip. The sleeve and obi both displays minimal wear and the vinyl also has very little signs of play, a really nice example EMS-81327)
- Iron Maiden - Death On The Road - Sealed - UK - picture disc LP - £145.00, $179.80, €165.30 (New Item) (arrived 19-Sep-2022 09:16)on February 1, 2023 at 2:17 am
IRON MAIDEN Death On The Road (Sealed 2005 UK limited edition 16-track double LP Picture Disc set featuring a recording of their live performance on 24th November 2003, at Westfalenhalle Arena, Dortmund, Germany during the Dance of Death European Tour, including 'Wildest Dreams', 'The Trooper', 'Dance Of Death', 'Rainmaker', 'Run To The Hills' and more; hype stickered gatefold picture sleeve with 'Grim Reaper' inner sleeves. This is factory sealed from new, and remains in amint and unplayed condition)
- Iron Maiden - Senjutsu - Black Vinyl - Sealed - UK - 3-LP vinyl set - £49.99, $61.99, €56.99 (New Item) (arrived 19-Sep-2022 12:30)on February 1, 2023 at 2:17 am
IRON MAIDEN Senjutsu (2021 UK/EU limited edition 10-track triple album 3-LP pressed on 180-gram heavyweight black vinyl. Their seventeenth studio album, recorded in Paris with longstanding producer Kevin Shirley and co-produced by SteveHarris. Samurai-themed sleeve artwork by Mark Wilkinson on a 3-panel fold-out picture sleeve with hype sticker attached, factory sealed)