The Ray Davies-penned track supposedly tells of a romance between a young man and a transgender person whom he meets in a club in Soho. Considered daring and provocative upon its release in June 1970, the song actually began life as a soothing lullaby for Davies’s daughter Victoria, to amuse her while he was away from home, on tour. According to Davies, it was based on real events, specifically a dance he was asked to share with a beautiful “woman” when The Kinks played an all-nighter at Bridlington’s Spa Royal Hall on May 8, 1965.
“I was asked to dance by somebody who was a fabulous looking woman,” he recalled. I said, ‘No thank you.’ And she went in a cab with my manager straight afterwards. It’s based on personal experience. But not every word.”
The single originally peaked at number 2 in the UK, and number 9 in the US.
This new remaster will emerge on the multi-format, 50th anniversary, Lola Versus Powerman album to be released via BMG, on December 11.
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- The Kinks - 20 Golden Greats - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £10.00, $12.50, €11.20 (New Item) (arrived 22-Jan-2021 15:05)on January 23, 2021 at 5:18 pm
THE KINKS 20 Golden Greats (1978 UK 20-track LP compilation, featuring classic Kinks singles from 1964-71, picture sleeve. The sleeve has a little ringwear, whilst the vinyl shows only the lightest signs of play RPL2031)
- The Kinks - Live At Kelvin Hall - Spanish - vinyl LP - £15.00, $18.75, €16.80 (New Item) (arrived 09-Dec-2020 08:08)on January 23, 2021 at 5:18 pm
THE KINKS Live At Kelvin Hall (1980s Spanish Zafiro label issue of the 1967 9-track vinyl LP recorded live at Kelvin Hall in Glasgow, Scotland, including Till The End Of The Day, Sunny Afternoon, You Really Got Me and many more, picture sleeve. The sleeve does have some notable creasing and scuffing around the edges, whilst the vinyl shows few signs of play ZL-502)
- The Kinks - One For The Road - UK - 2-LP vinyl set - £20.00, $25.00, €22.40 (New Item) (arrived 11-Nov-2020 14:31)on January 23, 2021 at 5:18 pm
THE KINKS One For The Road (1980 UK 20-track double vinyl LP which was recorded live at a variety of venues across the US and also Zurich in Switzerland. The gatefold picture sleeve does show minimal shelfwear scuffing to the edges, and a small catalogue number sticker to back while both discs appear in excellent condition DARTY6)
- The Kinks - Don't Forget To Dance - UK - 12" vinyl - £12.00, $15.00, €13.44 (New Item) (arrived 11-Nov-2020 14:33)on January 23, 2021 at 5:18 pm
THE KINKS Don't Forget To Dance (1983 UK 12" vinyl single, which also includes Bernadette, shiny picture sleeve. The sleeve and vinyl are both in wonderful near 'as new' condition ARIST12524)
- The Kinks - Ev'rybody's Gonna Be Happy - Solid - VG - UK - 7" vinyl - £10.00, $12.50, €11.20 (Back In Stock) (arrived 13-Nov-2020 21:33)on January 23, 2021 at 5:18 pm
THE KINKS Ev'rybody's Gonna Be Happy (1965 UK solid centre 7" vinyl single, also including Who'll Be The Next In Line, Pye company die-cut paper sleeve. The vinyl grades VG+/EX- with just light signs of play 7N.15813)
Need gift ideas? Roy and Luke are here to help!