Elvis Costello has announced that his new studio album Hey Clockface will be released on October 30 via Concord Records.
It was recorded between Helsinki, Paris and New York and was mixed in Los Angeles by Sebastian Krys – and to mark the news, Costello has released a video for the track We Are All Cowards Now.
For the Paris sessions, Costello was joined by a group of musicians he dubbed Le Quintette Saint Germain: Steve Nieve, Mickaél Gasche, Pierre-François ‘Titi’ Dufour and Renaud-Gabriel Pion.
Costello says: “I sang live on the studio floor, directing from the vocal booth. We cut nine songs in two days. We spoke very little. Almost everything the musicians played was a spontaneous response to the song I was singing. I’d had a dream of recording in Paris like this, one day.”
The New York sessions were produced by composer, arranger and trumpet player Michael Leonhart in collaboration with guitarists Bill Frisell and Nels Cline.
Costello adds: “I wanted to write ‘Helsinki-Paris-???’ on the record jacket like this was a perfume or an advertising agency. London was a possibility for the third city but London is forever. We’ll be there again.
“Michael sent this music to me from New York at the perfect time. It connected to elements in both of the previous sessions and completed the picture.
“I wanted the record to be vivid, whether the songs demanded playing that was loud and jagged or intimate and beautiful.”
Elvis Costello: Hey Clockface
1. Revolution #49
2. No Flag
3. They’re Not Laughing At Me Now
4. Newspaper Pane
5. I Do (Zula’s Song)
6. We Are All Cowards Now
7. Hey Clockface / How Can You Face Me?
8. The Whirlwind
9. Hetty O’Hara Confidential
10. The Last Confession of Vivian Whip
11. What Is It That I Need That I Don’t Already Have?
12. Radio Is Everything
13. I Can’t Say Her Name
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom - Illustrated labels - UK - vinyl LP - £20.00, $22.60, €22.80 (Back In Stock) (arrived 06-Oct-2022 08:09)on October 7, 2022 at 12:41 am
ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS Imperial Bedroom (1982 UK 15-track LP produced by Geoff Emerick, complete with die-cut lyric inner which matches the B-side label, picture sleeve. The sleeve shows just a little light shelfwear & the vinyl remains in excellent condition with few signs of play XXLP17)
- Elvis Costello - Get Happy!! - stickered shrink - US - vinyl LP - £15.00, $16.95, €17.10 (New Item) (arrived 25-Sep-2022 09:29)on October 7, 2022 at 12:41 am
ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS Get Happy!! (Original 1980 US 20-track LP, complete with the illustrated inner. The picture sleeve has no deletion cuts & is still in the hype stickered open shrinkwrap, whilst the vinyl appears barely played JC36347)
- Elvis Costello - This Year's Model - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £25.00, $28.25, €28.50 (New Item) (arrived 24-Aug-2022 09:18)on October 7, 2022 at 12:41 am
ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS This Year's Model (1978 UK 12-track vinyl LP including Pump It Up and I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea. The glossy picture sleeve shows 2 small residual sticker marks whilst the vinyl shows light signs of play RAD3)
- Elvis Costello - Deep Dead Blue - Translucent Blue 180 Gram Vinyl - UK - vinyl LP - £29.99, $33.89, €34.19 (New Item) (arrived 01-Sep-2022 10:23)on October 7, 2022 at 12:41 am
ELVIS COSTELLO & BILL FRISELL Deep Dead Blue (2022 UK/EU limited edition 7-track LP that documents a set of guitar & vocal duets between Bill Frisell and Elvis Costello, recorded Live at the Meltdown Festival on 25th June 1995. Pressed on 180-gram Translucent Blue Vinyl and limited to just 2000 individually numbered copies. Picture sleeve with gold hype sticker, in resealable clear outer. Recommended)
- Elvis Costello - Watching The Detectives - 4-Prong - UK - 7" vinyl - £6.99, $7.90, €7.97 (New Item) (arrived 05-Sep-2022 08:58)on October 7, 2022 at 12:41 am
ELVIS COSTELLO Watching The Detectives (1977 UK 3-track 7" single with four prong centre, also including live versions of Blame It On Caine & Mystery Dance recorded in London. Issued in a Stiff company die-cut paper sleeve BUY20)