The Flaming Lips have announced details about their new studio album.
The follow-up to 2019’s King’s Mouth will be titled American Head and it’ll released on September 11 through Bella Union in the UK and Europe, and Warner Records in the US.
The album will include the previously released single Flowers Of Neptune 6, with The Flaming Lips today revealing a video for another new track titled My Religion Is You.
The Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne has published a long form story about the album and the inspirations behind it.
He says: “Even though The Flaming Lips are from Oklahoma we never thought of ourselves as an American band. I know growing up in Oklahoma I was never influenced by, or was very aware of any musicians from Oklahoma. We mostly listened to the Beatles and my mother loved Tom Jones. It wasn’t until I was about 10 or 11 that my older brothers would know a few of the local musician dudes.
“So for most of our musical life we’ve thought of ourselves as coming from Earth – not really caring where we were actually from. So for the first time in our musical life we began to think of ourselves as an American band, telling ourselves it would be our identity for our next creative adventure.
“We had become a seven-piece ensemble and were beginning to feel more and more of a kinship with groups that have a lot of members in them. We started to think of classic American bands like The Grateful Dead and Parliament-Funkadelic and how maybe we could embrace this new vibe.
“The music and songs that make up American Head are based in a feeling – A feeling that, I think, can only be expressed through music and songs. We were, while creating it, trying to not hear it as sounds, but to feel it. Mother’s sacrifice, Father’s intensity, Brother’s insanity, Sister’s rebellion… I can’t quite put it into words.”
Coyne concludes: “Something switches and others –your brothers and sisters and mother and father… your pets – start to become more important to you. In the beginning there is only you and your desires are all that you can care about, but something switches. I think all of these songs are about this little switch.”
American Head will include a total of 13 tracks, with God And The Policeman featuring a guest appearance from country star Kasey Musgraves.
The Flaming Lips: American Head
1. Will You Return / When You Come Down
2. Watching the Lightbugs Glow
3. Flowers Of Neptune 6
4. Dinosaurs On The Mountain
5. At The Movies On Quaaludes
6. Mother I’ve Taken LSD
7. Brother Eye
8. You n Me Sellin’ Weed
9. Mother Please Don’t Be Sad
10. When We Die When We’re High
11. Assassins of Youth
12. God and the Policeman (Feat. Kacey Musgraves)
13. My Religion Is You
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- The Flaming Lips - The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song - UK - 7" picture disc - £10.00, $13.70, €11.70 (New Item) (arrived 22-Aug-2021 09:17)on September 28, 2021 at 9:13 pm
FLAMING LIPS The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song (2006 UK limited edition 7" Picture Disc single featuring a hugely infectious hook & elaborate vocals, also includes the exclusive recording Why Does It End?, custom-stickered clear PVC sleeve W711)
- The Flaming Lips - The W.A.N.D. - UK - 7" picture disc - £15.00, $20.55, €17.55 (New Item) (arrived 22-Aug-2021 09:16)on September 28, 2021 at 9:13 pm
FLAMING LIPS The W.A.N.D. (2006 UK limited edition 7" Picture Disc, the second single taken from their critically praised album At War With The Mystics, also includes the previously unreleased recording You Gotta Hold On, hype stickered PVC sleeve)
- The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics - Blue/Orange vinyl - UK - 2-LP vinyl set - £95.00, $130.15, €111.15 (New Item) (arrived 19-Aug-2021 12:54)on September 28, 2021 at 9:13 pm
FLAMING LIPS At War With The Mystics (2006 UK Limited Edition 12-track 2-LP set pressed on Turquoise and Orange Vinyl Produced by David Fridmann [Mercury Rev, Mogwai],the album includes the single The YeahYeahYeah Song. Housed in a gatefold picture sleeve with picture/lyric inners. The sleeve shows only light edgewear and the vinyl remains in near mint condition)
- The Flaming Lips - It Overtakes Me EP - UK - 12" vinyl - £12.00, $16.44, €14.04 (New Item) (arrived 15-Aug-2021 16:44)on September 28, 2021 at 9:13 pm
FLAMING LIPS It Overtakes Me (2006 UK limited edition 4-track 12" EP, pressed on YELLOW VINYL. Includes the exclusive tracks I'm Afraid Of Dying... Aren't You?, Free Radicals - The Bird & The Bee Mix & TimeTravel?? Yes!! with Steve Burnes. Comes housed in a title-stickered clear PVC sleeve. The vinyl is Excellent with just a faint cosmetic reaction to the pvc not affecting play W750T)
- The Flaming Lips - Fight Test - US - 7" picture disc - £25.00, $34.25, €29.25 (New Item) (arrived 16-Jun-2021 15:23)on September 28, 2021 at 9:13 pm
FLAMING LIPS Fight Test (2003 US-only limited edition 7" Picture Disc single, also including Thank You Jack White [For The Fiber-Optic Jesus That You Gave Me]. The individually hand numbered remains unplayed issued in the hype-stickered clear PVC envelope sleeve)