After Joe Elliott teased The Early Years box set last month, full details have now been revealed – check out the Nick Tauber-produced version of Rock Brigade.
In December last year, Def Leppard frontman Joe Elliott revealed the band were planning on releasing a box set titled The Early Years.
That news came after he previously stated they were planning on launching a “warts and all” show recorded in Oxford in 1980.
Now full details of the box set have been revealed – and it’s going to be packed with material, with the package coinciding with the 40th anniversary of Def Leppard’s debut album On Through The Night.
The Early Years 79-81 box set will be released on March 20 through UMC/Virgin and will contain remastered editions of 1980’s On Through The Night and 1981’s High ‘N’ Dry, which were overseen by Elliott, who acted as executive producer, and mastered by Def Lep’s longtime sound engineer Ronan McHugh.
The collection will be spread across five discs, with the albums joined by the previously revealed Oxford show, along with b-sides, remixes, further live cuts and more.
In addition, The Early Years 79-81 will include the Nick Tauber-produced version of Rock Brigade which was planned to launch as a single but remained in the vaults… until today.
Elliott says: “Well the fans asked, and we listened! Really excited to have our early years reworked with a load of rare material including the newly unearthed Live at the Oxford New Theatre, recorded on the 1980 UK tour.
“It’s been a trip putting this box set together and I hope you all enjoy listening to it as much as we did working on it.”
In addition to the music, the box set will include a history of the band’s first two albums written by Classic Rock writer Paul Elliott which will feature “personal insights from the band on the making and releasing of those early records as well as rare photos and memorabilia.”
The Early Years 79-81 is now available to pre-order, while a full list of contents can be found below.
In addition, On Through The Night will be released on blue vinyl, while High ’N’ Dry will be pressed on red vinyl on March 20. Both are now available to pre-order.
Def Leppard: The Early Years 79-81 box set contents
CD1: On Through The Night – remastered
1. Rock Brigade
2. Hello America
3. Sorrow Is A Woman
4. It Could Be You
6. When the Walls Came Tumbling Down
8. Rocks Off
9. It Don’t Matter
10. Answer to The Master
CD2: High ’N’ Dry – remastered
1. Let It Go
2. Another Hit and Run
3. High N Dry (Saturday Night)
4. Bringin’ On the Heartache
5. Switch 625
6. You Got Me Runnin’
7. Lady Strange
8. On Through the Night
9. Mirror Mirror (Look into My Eyes)
10. No No No
CD3: When The Walls Came Tumbling Down: Live in Oxford: 26/04/1980
1. When the Walls Came Tumbling Down
2. It Could Be You
3. Rock Brigade
5. Medicine Man
6. Answer to the Master
7. When the Rain Falls
8. Sorrow Is a Woman
9. Good Morning Freedom
10. Don’t Matter to Me
12. Lady Strange
13. Getcha Rocks Off
14. Hello America
16. Ride into The Sun
CD4: Too Many Jitterbugs: B-sides and rarities
1. Ride into The Sun – The Def Leppard EP
2. Getcha Rocks Off – The Def Leppard EP
3. The Overture – The Def Leppard EP
4. Wasted -Single
5. Hello America – Single
6. Rock Brigade – Unreleased Nick Tauber produced version
7. Glad I’m Alive – Unreleased Nick Tauber produced version
8. Good Morning Freedom – Single
9. Let It Go – Single Edit
10. Switch 625 – Single Edit
11. Bringin’ On the Heartbreak – Single Edit
12. Me and My Wine – Original Version
13. Bringin’ On the Heartbreak – Remix
14. Me and My Wine – Remix
CD5: Raw: Early BBC Recordings
1. Glad I’m Alive (Andy Peebles Session – 07/06/1979)
2. Sorrow Is A Woman (Andy Peebles Session – 07/06/1979)
3. Wasted (Andy Peebles Session – 07/06/1979)
4. Answer to The Master (Andy Peebles Session – 07/06/1979)
5. Satellite (Friday Rock Show Session – 03/10/1979)
6. Rock Brigade (Friday Rock Show Session – 03/10/1979)
7. Wasted (Friday Rock Show Session – 03/10/1979)
8. Good Morning Freedom (Friday Rock Show Session – 03/10/1979)
9. Satellite / When the Walls Came Tumbling Down (Live at the Reading Festival – 24/08/1980)
10. Medicine Man (Live at the Reading Festival – 24/08/1980)
11. The Overture (Live at the Reading Festival – 24/08/1980)
12. Lady Strange (Live at the Reading Festival – 24/08/1980)
13. Getcha Rocks Off (Live at the Reading Festival – 24/08/1980)
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Def Leppard - Vinyl Collection Volume 2 - Sealed - UK - vinyl box set - £195.00, $269.10, €230.10 (New Item) (arrived 05-Oct-2021 09:01)on October 23, 2021 at 4:06 pm
DEF LEPPARD Vinyl Collection Volume 2 (2018 UK limited edition Six Album (Ten Disc) Vinyl LP box set, comprising the studio albums Adrenalize, Retro Active (Double LP), Slang, Euphoria (Double LP) all pressed on Audiophile quality 180 GramHeavyweight Vinyl, also including the bonus Double LPs Rarities 2 & 3 featuring bonus tracks, alternative versions, demos and live recordings. All housed in a slipcase style picture box with a 40-page booklet containing exclusive Ross Halfin photos and new essays by Paul Elliot - still sealed in its original stickered shrinkwrap)