From Plant Rock.
The Who’s 1979 soundtrack albums ‘The Kids Are Alright’ and ‘Quadrophenia’ are being reissued on vinyl this spring.
The double heavyweight vinyl editions will both be released on Friday 6th March 2020 and are available to pre-order by clicking the links below.
‘The Kids Are Alright’ was originally released on 8th June 1979 as a companion to The Who’s rockumentary film of the same name, directed by Jeff Stein.
Boasting an iconic front cover – shot by photographer Art Kane at the Carl Shurz Monument in New York – ‘The Kids Are Alright’ features three live songs from Woodstock; ‘Sparks’, ‘Pinball Wizard’ and ‘See Me, Feel Me.’
Other highlights include 1960s TV performances of ‘Magic Bus’ and ‘Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere’, and live and rare versions of ‘My Generation’, ‘I Can’t Explain’, ‘I Can See for Miles’ and ‘Baba O’Riley’.
Not to be confused with the rock opera album of the same name, October 1979’s ‘Quadrophenia’ is the soundtrack album to the 1979 film Quadrophenia (itself a reference to the 1973 rock opera), which was directed by Franc Roddam and starred Phil Daniels, Leslie Ash, Ray Winstone and Sting.
The album includes 13 Who tracks, including ‘5:15’, ‘Love Reign O’er Me’ and ‘Bell Boy’ others – several of which were re-recorded and remixed exclusively for the soundtrack.
‘Quadrophenia’ also features three tracks not featured on the original 1973 album – ‘Get Out And Stay Out’, ‘Four Faces’ and ‘Joker James’, plus other classic tracks from the 60s mod era by James Brown, Booker T & The MGs, The Ronettes, The Crystals, The Cascades, The Kingsmen and The Chiffons.
Both of the vinyl albums cost £23, however you can order both from Townsend Music for £44.
‘The Kids Are Alright’ double vinyl track-listing is as follows:
1 .My Generation (The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, 15 September 1967)
2. I Can’t Explain (Twickenham Film Studios, 3 August 1965)
3. Happy Jack (Leeds University, 14 February 1970)
4. I Can See for Miles (The Smothers Brothers Show, 15 September 1967)
5. Magic Bus (Beat-Club, 12 October 1968)
6. Long Live Rock (Olympic Studios, Barnes, London, 5 June 1972)
1. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Ready Steady Go! 1 July 1965)
2. Young Man Blues (Coliseum, London, 14 December 1969)
3. My Wife (Gaumont State Theatre, Kilburn, London, 15 December 1977)
4. Baba O’Riley (Shepperton Studios, London, 25 May 1978)
1. A Quick One, While He’s Away (The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus film, recorded on 11 December 1968)
2. Tommy Can You Hear Me? (Beat-Club, 27 September 1969)
3. Sparks (Woodstock Music and Arts Fair, NY, 17 August 1969)
4. Pinball Wizard (Woodstock Music and Arts Fair, NY, 17 August 1969)
5. See Me, Feel Me (Woodstock Music and Arts Fair, NY, 17 August 1969)
1. Join Together/Road Runner/My Generation Blues (Medley) (Pontiac Silverdome, Pontiac, Michigan on 6 December 1975)
2 .Won’t Get Fooled Again (Shepperton Film Studios, London, 25 May 1978)
The ‘Quadrophenia’ double vinyl track-listing is as follows:
1. I Am The Sea
2. The Real Me
3. I’m One
4. Love Reign O’er Me
1. Bell Boy
2. I’ve Had Enough
3. Helpless Dancer
4. Doctor Jimmy
1. Zoot Suit (The High Numbers)
2. Hi Heel Sneakers (Cross Section)
3. Get Out And Stay Out
4. Four Faces
5. Joker James
6. The Punk and The Godfather
1. Night Train (James Brown)
2. Louie Louie (The Kingsmen)
3. Green Onions (Booker T & The MGs)
4. Rhythm of the Rain (The Cascades)
5. He’s So Fine (The Chiffons)
6. Be My Baby (The Ronettes)
7. Da Doo Ron Ron (The Crystals)
The Who also head out on a headline UK arena tour in March and April 2020. Tickets are on sale from Planet Rock Tickets now.
They play the following shows:
Manchester Arena – 16th
Newcastle Metro Radio Arena – 21st
Glasgow The SSE Hydro – 23rd
Leeds First Direct Arena – 25th
Cardiff Motorpoint Arena – 30th
Birmingham Resorts World Arena – 1st
Nottingham Motorpoint Arena – 3rd
Liverpool M&S Bank Arena – 6th
London The SSE Arena, Wembley – 8th
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- The Who - The Who By Numbers - 1st - UK - vinyl LP - £60.00, $82.80, €69.60 (New Item) (arrived 21-Jun-2021 11:11)on June 22, 2021 at 5:44 am
THE WHO The Who By Numbers (Original 1975 UK limited edition 10-track vinyl LP, with individually numbered 'dot-to-dot' picture sleeve. The 'dot-to-dot' sleeve has not been joined up and the machine printed number is clearly visible onthe reverse. There is a little light shelfwear with minor discolouring to the sleeve, while save for a few faint scuffs, the vinyl the vinyl appears barely played)
- The Who - My Generation - VG - UK - vinyl LP - £20.00, $27.60, €23.20 (Back In Stock) (arrived 26-May-2021 08:21)on June 22, 2021 at 5:44 am
THE WHO My Generation (1979 UK mono issue of the classic 1965 12-track LP, housed in a replica front glossed picture sleeve. The sleeve displays a little light wear through storage with some discolouring to the unlaminated back whilst the vinyl grades VG with just the odd light scratch not upsetting play. For one of the most celebrated albums ever with many copies played to death at parties, this is a nice copy! V2179)
- The Who - Odds & Sods - 1st - UK - vinyl LP - £25.00, $34.50, €29.00 (Back In Stock) (arrived 26-May-2021 08:21)on June 22, 2021 at 5:44 am
THE WHO Odds & Sods (1974 UK first issue 11-track stereo LP, complete with fold out illustrated lyric insert, die cut picture sleeve with braille titles on the reverse. The sleeve & vinyl are in Excellent condition with some minor shelf wear & light signs of play)
- The Who - Quadrophenia - VG - UK - 2-LP vinyl set - £30.00, $41.40, €34.80 (Back In Stock) (arrived 26-May-2021 08:21)on June 22, 2021 at 5:44 am
THE WHO Quadrophenia (Classic 1973 UK 17-track double LP, housed in a gatefold picture sleeve with a deluxe forty-four page full size booklet containing pictures & lyrics to the album. The cover is Very Good with some light age wear scuffing & ring wear & the heavyweight booklet has come loose, which is not uncommon, with the intact lyric booklet has a small tear and a small dedication on the inside whilst the vinyl discs remain in Excellent condition with light evidence of play)
- The Who - Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy - 1st - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £15.00, $20.70, €17.40 (Back In Stock) (arrived 26-May-2021 08:21)on June 22, 2021 at 5:44 am
THE WHO Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy (1972 UK first issue 14-track retrospective LP, E.J. Day printed gatefold picture sleeve. The cover shows only light edge & ring wear, with some light colour fading to the spine, whilst the vinyl displays the odd cosmetic paper scuff but remains excellent)