From Plant Rock.
The Who’s 1979 soundtrack albums ‘The Kids Are Alright’ and ‘Quadrophenia’ are being reissued on vinyl this spring.
The double heavyweight vinyl editions will both be released on Friday 6th March 2020 and are available to pre-order by clicking the links below.
‘The Kids Are Alright’ was originally released on 8th June 1979 as a companion to The Who’s rockumentary film of the same name, directed by Jeff Stein.
Boasting an iconic front cover – shot by photographer Art Kane at the Carl Shurz Monument in New York – ‘The Kids Are Alright’ features three live songs from Woodstock; ‘Sparks’, ‘Pinball Wizard’ and ‘See Me, Feel Me.’
Other highlights include 1960s TV performances of ‘Magic Bus’ and ‘Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere’, and live and rare versions of ‘My Generation’, ‘I Can’t Explain’, ‘I Can See for Miles’ and ‘Baba O’Riley’.
Not to be confused with the rock opera album of the same name, October 1979’s ‘Quadrophenia’ is the soundtrack album to the 1979 film Quadrophenia (itself a reference to the 1973 rock opera), which was directed by Franc Roddam and starred Phil Daniels, Leslie Ash, Ray Winstone and Sting.
The album includes 13 Who tracks, including ‘5:15’, ‘Love Reign O’er Me’ and ‘Bell Boy’ others – several of which were re-recorded and remixed exclusively for the soundtrack.
‘Quadrophenia’ also features three tracks not featured on the original 1973 album – ‘Get Out And Stay Out’, ‘Four Faces’ and ‘Joker James’, plus other classic tracks from the 60s mod era by James Brown, Booker T & The MGs, The Ronettes, The Crystals, The Cascades, The Kingsmen and The Chiffons.
Both of the vinyl albums cost £23, however you can order both from Townsend Music for £44.
‘The Kids Are Alright’ double vinyl track-listing is as follows:
1 .My Generation (The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, 15 September 1967)
2. I Can’t Explain (Twickenham Film Studios, 3 August 1965)
3. Happy Jack (Leeds University, 14 February 1970)
4. I Can See for Miles (The Smothers Brothers Show, 15 September 1967)
5. Magic Bus (Beat-Club, 12 October 1968)
6. Long Live Rock (Olympic Studios, Barnes, London, 5 June 1972)
1. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Ready Steady Go! 1 July 1965)
2. Young Man Blues (Coliseum, London, 14 December 1969)
3. My Wife (Gaumont State Theatre, Kilburn, London, 15 December 1977)
4. Baba O’Riley (Shepperton Studios, London, 25 May 1978)
1. A Quick One, While He’s Away (The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus film, recorded on 11 December 1968)
2. Tommy Can You Hear Me? (Beat-Club, 27 September 1969)
3. Sparks (Woodstock Music and Arts Fair, NY, 17 August 1969)
4. Pinball Wizard (Woodstock Music and Arts Fair, NY, 17 August 1969)
5. See Me, Feel Me (Woodstock Music and Arts Fair, NY, 17 August 1969)
1. Join Together/Road Runner/My Generation Blues (Medley) (Pontiac Silverdome, Pontiac, Michigan on 6 December 1975)
2 .Won’t Get Fooled Again (Shepperton Film Studios, London, 25 May 1978)
The ‘Quadrophenia’ double vinyl track-listing is as follows:
1. I Am The Sea
2. The Real Me
3. I’m One
4. Love Reign O’er Me
1. Bell Boy
2. I’ve Had Enough
3. Helpless Dancer
4. Doctor Jimmy
1. Zoot Suit (The High Numbers)
2. Hi Heel Sneakers (Cross Section)
3. Get Out And Stay Out
4. Four Faces
5. Joker James
6. The Punk and The Godfather
1. Night Train (James Brown)
2. Louie Louie (The Kingsmen)
3. Green Onions (Booker T & The MGs)
4. Rhythm of the Rain (The Cascades)
5. He’s So Fine (The Chiffons)
6. Be My Baby (The Ronettes)
7. Da Doo Ron Ron (The Crystals)
The Who also head out on a headline UK arena tour in March and April 2020. Tickets are on sale from Planet Rock Tickets now.
They play the following shows:
Manchester Arena – 16th
Newcastle Metro Radio Arena – 21st
Glasgow The SSE Hydro – 23rd
Leeds First Direct Arena – 25th
Cardiff Motorpoint Arena – 30th
Birmingham Resorts World Arena – 1st
Nottingham Motorpoint Arena – 3rd
Liverpool M&S Bank Arena – 6th
London The SSE Arena, Wembley – 8th
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- The Who - Join Together - Wide - UK - 7" vinyl - £8.00, $10.00, €8.96 (New Item) (arrived 03-Jul-2020 14:18)on July 5, 2020 at 1:48 am
THE WHO Join Together (1972 UK wide centred 7" vinyl single, also including Baby Don't You Do It, plain die-cut paper sleeve)
- The Who - Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy - 1st - UK - vinyl LP - £20.00, $25.00, €22.40 (New Item) (arrived 03-Jul-2020 13:25)on July 5, 2020 at 1:48 am
THE WHO Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy (1972 UK first issue 14-track vinyl retrospective LP including I Can't Explain, The Kids Are Alright, My Generation, Pinball Wizard and more. The E.J. Day printed gatefold picture sleeve shows just a little light shelfwear and the vinyl looks barely played)
- The Who - Direct Hits - Mono - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £125.00, $156.25, €140.00 (Back In Stock) (arrived 30-Jun-2020 14:18)on July 5, 2020 at 1:48 am
THE WHO Direct Hits - Mono - EX (Very rare original 1968 UK Track label 12-track MONO vinyl compilation LP, front laminated picture sleeve. The sleeve displays just a little general wear with some mild surface rubbing/ringwear to the unlaminated reverse and just a few minor laminate creases to the front, with undamaged, clear, legible spine and text and no splits remaining in Excellent shape overall. The labels feature the M33 triangle logo and only show just a few very light spindle marks to indicate only light careful play. The vinyl stands as the best feature which is still in superb well cared for shape on this one owner copy, grading EX+ with very few signs of use detectable, overall fantatic barely played example, rarest in mono)
- The Who - Odds & Sods - 1st + Poster - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £50.00, $62.50, €56.00 (New Item) (arrived 30-Jun-2020 12:55)on July 5, 2020 at 1:48 am
THE WHO Odds & Sods (1974 UK first press 11-track stereo vinyl LP comprising a collection of studio outtakes and rarities, including the singles Long Live Rock and Postcard. The unique die-cut sleeve has a little shelfwear evident but comes complete with the integral full colour back picture allowed to show through and braille titles on the reverse plus the double-sided lyric insert and rare fold-out colour poster while the vinyl shows only minor signs of play and remains in overall EX condition!)
- The Who - The Who Sell Out - French - 2-LP vinyl set - £75.00, $93.75, €84.00 (New Item) (arrived 30-Jun-2020 12:33)on July 5, 2020 at 1:48 am
THE WHO The Who Sell Out (Rare 1974 French 'Serie Pop Music' 24-track double vinyl LP which also comprises the 'A Quick One' collection. The unique laminated gatefold picture sleeve has some shelfwear and light laminate creases to the edges evident however, both vinyl looks barely played. We haven't had a copy of this pressing in FIFTEEN years!)