Audiophile Vinyl: Why Buy?
- Audiophile vinyl releases are usually sourced from the original master tapes, allowing for a much closer representation of how the LP originally sounded.
- They often utilise techniques such as half-speed mastering (said to allow for much more accuracy with frequency), Quadrophonic sound (what we would now call 4:0 surround sound), as well as brand new ‘virgin’ vinyl (in the past some new vinyl releases may have been pressed on melted down unsold records!)
- They tend to be pressed on heavyweight vinyl (180g) or more. However, there’s a big debate amongst audiophile fans as to whether this offers any sonic improvement, we think it does, often giving a much fuller, bass heavy sound and greater dynamic range.
- Some audiophile releases will be released on double vinyl which plays at 45rpm, the wider grooves allowing for yet more audio fidelity.
- They make a perfect Christmas present for the vinyl lover in your life!
Be sure to check eil.com’s extensive range of audiophile vinyl here