Billy Gibbons has shared a the video for Desert High, the new single from his forthcoming album, Hardware, and it features name checks for The Doors’ former frontman Jim Morrison, late country-rock pioneer Gram Parsons and Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards.
The video sees ZZ Top guitarist Gibbons cruising across the Californian desert around the iconic Joshua Tree, offering spoken word shouts out to Morrison (“The desert toad takes me for a ride/The Lizard King’s always by my side”) and Parsons, the Flying Burrito Brothers singer who died in a Joshua Tree hotel in September 1973.
“Gram died in room eight and left it all to Keith/Just a couple of miles from the salt and sea,” Gibbons sings, referencing Keith Richards; the Stones had encouraged their friend Parsons to record Sticky Fingers classic Wild Horses before they themselves released it.
“The song is, perhaps, not typical of Hardware as a totality but it gives an indication of the album’s desiccated sonic sensibility,” Gibbons says of Desert High. “The desert is a truly mysterious place and we were privileged to have spent all that time there absorbing the heat, the vibe, and cranking it out. It’s where natural background is at its most raw and untamed. We suspect what we’ve done is something of a reflection or, perhaps, a mirage, that relates.”
Hardware, co-produced by former The Cult/Guns N’ Roses’ drummer Matt Sorum, will be released on Concord Records on June 4.
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- ZZ Top - Gimme All Your Lovin' - Legs sleeve - UK - 12" vinyl - £12.99, $18.06, €14.94 (New Item) (arrived 05-May-2021 11:03)on May 8, 2021 at 10:57 am
ZZ TOP Gimme All Your Lovin' (1983 UK 4-track 12" vinyl single - taken from the band's 'Diamond' status album, Eliminator. Also includes the tracks Jesus Just Left Chicago, Arrested For Driving While Blind and Heard It On The X. Presented in a full picture sleeve, featuring 'The Eliminator' Hot Rod. The sleeve shows minimal wear and the vinyl appears barely played W9693T)
- ZZ Top - Gimme All Your Lovin' - UK - 7" vinyl - £8.00, $11.12, €9.20 (Back In Stock) (arrived 09-Mar-2021 10:43)on May 8, 2021 at 10:57 am
ZZ TOP Gimme All Your Lovin' (1983 UK 7" vinyl single featuring the Radio Edit, also including If I Could Only Flag Her Down, thin card picture sleeve W9693)
- Billy F. Gibbons - The Big Bad Blues - Smokey Blue - UK - vinyl LP - £25.00, $34.75, €28.75 (New Item) (arrived 13-Dec-2020 10:25)on May 8, 2021 at 10:57 am
BILLY F. GIBBONS The Big Bad Blues (2018 UK 11-track LP pressed on Smokey Blue vinyl, complete with illustrated credits inner and picture sleeve. The sleeve shows minimal wear from storage, while the vinyl itself displays little evidence of play)
- ZZ Top - Legs - UK - 7" vinyl - £10.00, $13.90, €11.50 (New Item) (arrived 14-Dec-2020 16:52)on May 8, 2021 at 10:57 am
ZZ TOP Legs (1985 UK first issue solid centre 7" vinyl single, also including Bad Girl, housed in the card picture sleeve with the image taking up the whole of the front and album details on the back. The sleeve displays minimal wear and the vinyl looks barely played W9272)
- ZZ Top - Breakaway - UK - 12" picture disc - £25.00, $34.75, €28.75 (New Item) (arrived 28-Dec-2020 08:38)on May 8, 2021 at 10:57 am
ZZ TOP Breakaway (1994 UK limited edition 12" Picture Disc single, also including Mary's, within a PVC sleeve with a card picture insert)