Badfinger have announced details of their upcoming No Matter What – Revisiting The Hits collection, which features new recordings of some of the band’s most famous songs.
Joining guitarist Joey Molland – the sole survivor from the band’s best-known lineup – on the album are stars including Rick Springfield, Jethro Tull‘s Ian Anderson, Rick Wakeman, Matthew Sweet, Todd Rundgren, Sonny Landreth, The Legendary Pink Dots, Vanilla Fudge frontman Mark Stein, Terry Reid and Albert Lee.
Wakeman contributes piano to an updated recording of Badfinger’s 1969 hit Come And Get It, which was written by Paul McCartney, who also played tambourine on the original. Matthew Sweet covers Baby Blue – a song he also recorded with Bangles single Susanna Hoffs on their mammoth duets collection Completly Under The Covers – and Rick Springfield lends his voice and guitar to a version of 1979’s Love Is Gonna Come At Last.
“Badfinger have always been one of my all-time favourite bands,” says Springfield. “In fact, I am often asked by journalists ‘What is the one song you had wished you had written?’ and my answer is Baby Blue. What a perfect song! Their music was and is immortal.”
The original, Todd Rundgren-produced version of Baby Blue was also used in the last episode of the TV drama Breaking Bad, soundtracking the final moments of the series’ protagonist, Walter White.
No Matter What – Revisiting The Hits will be released on Cleopatra Records on CD and on red, white and blue vinyl on March 26, but is available to pre-order now.
No Matter What – Revisiting The Hits tracklist
1. No Matter What feat. Mark Stein (Vanilla Fudge)
2. Come And Get It feat. Rick Wakeman
3. I Don’t Mind feat. Carl Giammarese (The Buckinghams)
4. Day After Day feat. Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull), Terry Reid & Manchester String Quartet
5. Love Is Gonna Come At Last feat. Rick Springfield
6. Baby Blue feat. Matthew Sweet
7. Midnight Caller feat. The Legendary Pink Dots
8. Suitcase feat. Sonny Landreth
9. Sweet Tuesday Morning feat. Albert Lee
10. Without You feat. Todd Rundgren
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Badfinger - Day After Day - UK - 7" vinyl - £20.00, $24.40, €23.20 (New Item) (arrived 30-Nov-2022 12:28)on December 7, 2022 at 9:42 am
BADFINGER Day After Day (1972 UK solid centre 7" vinyl single produced by George Harrison, also including Sweet Tuesday Morning produced by Tod[d] Rundgren. Issued in an Apple company die-cut paper sleeve, the vinyl appears in excellent condition APPLE40)
- Badfinger - Ass - UK - vinyl LP - £75.00, $91.50, €87.00 (New Item) (arrived 19-Aug-2022 15:51)on December 7, 2022 at 9:42 am
BADFINGER Ass (1996 UK 11-track vinyl LP, originally released by Apple in 1974, including Apple of My Eye and the exclusive bonus recording Do You Mind, glossy picture sleeve with illustrated inner containing album credits and newly written album notes. The label on Side B has a minor manufacturing fault, otherwise, the sleeve & vinyl are in a near mint condition SAPCOR27)
- Badfinger - Magic Christian Music - UK - 2-LP vinyl set - £125.00, $152.50, €145.00 (New Item) (arrived 05-Aug-2022 17:01)on December 7, 2022 at 9:42 am
BADFINGER Magic Christian Music (1991 UK 16-track digitally remastered double vinyl LP manufactured in Germany, featuring music from the soundtrack to the brilliant psychedelic cult movie starring Peter Sellers & Ringo Starr. Originally releasedin 1970, this edition comes with a bonus 2-track vinyl 12", including the previously unreleased Arthur and Storm In A Teacup. Pressed in limited quantities, this release is now hard to find as most were exported to USA. The glossy gatefold picture sleeve shows just a little light general wear, whilst the vinyl looks barely played SAPCOR12)
- Badfinger - No Matter What - Solid - UK - 7" vinyl - £15.00, $18.30, €17.40 (New Item) (arrived 18-Mar-2022 09:29)on December 7, 2022 at 9:42 am
BADFINGER No Matter What (1970 UK solid centre 7" vinyl single, also featuring Better Days, Apple company die cut paper sleeve. The vinyl remains in excellent condition with just a few light surface scuffs to show for its fifty years APPLE31)
- Badfinger - Maybe Tomorrow - Japanese - 7" vinyl - £395.00, $481.90, €458.20 (New Item) (arrived 17-Mar-2022 13:42)on December 7, 2022 at 9:42 am
BADFINGER Maybe Tomorrow (Mega rare 1971 wide centre promotional vinyl 7" for the single release with custom black on white Apple labels, also including And Her Daddy's Millionaire credited to The Iveys (only on the label), the groups original name before they became Badfinger in November 1969. Complete with the unique wrap-around picture insert featuring different artwork to that used on the commercial release, and printed with a biography text inside and lyrics to both songs on the reverse. The insert displays minimal wear, with just a couple of very small and light spots of foxing, whilst the vinyl remains in an outstanding condition with very little signs of play AR-2899)