Badfinger have announced details of their upcoming No Matter What – Revisiting The Hits collection, which features new recordings of some of the band’s most famous songs.
Joining guitarist Joey Molland – the sole survivor from the band’s best-known lineup – on the album are stars including Rick Springfield, Jethro Tull‘s Ian Anderson, Rick Wakeman, Matthew Sweet, Todd Rundgren, Sonny Landreth, The Legendary Pink Dots, Vanilla Fudge frontman Mark Stein, Terry Reid and Albert Lee.
Wakeman contributes piano to an updated recording of Badfinger’s 1969 hit Come And Get It, which was written by Paul McCartney, who also played tambourine on the original. Matthew Sweet covers Baby Blue – a song he also recorded with Bangles single Susanna Hoffs on their mammoth duets collection Completly Under The Covers – and Rick Springfield lends his voice and guitar to a version of 1979’s Love Is Gonna Come At Last.
“Badfinger have always been one of my all-time favourite bands,” says Springfield. “In fact, I am often asked by journalists ‘What is the one song you had wished you had written?’ and my answer is Baby Blue. What a perfect song! Their music was and is immortal.”
The original, Todd Rundgren-produced version of Baby Blue was also used in the last episode of the TV drama Breaking Bad, soundtracking the final moments of the series’ protagonist, Walter White.
No Matter What – Revisiting The Hits will be released on Cleopatra Records on CD and on red, white and blue vinyl on March 26, but is available to pre-order now.
No Matter What – Revisiting The Hits tracklist
1. No Matter What feat. Mark Stein (Vanilla Fudge)
2. Come And Get It feat. Rick Wakeman
3. I Don’t Mind feat. Carl Giammarese (The Buckinghams)
4. Day After Day feat. Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull), Terry Reid & Manchester String Quartet
5. Love Is Gonna Come At Last feat. Rick Springfield
6. Baby Blue feat. Matthew Sweet
7. Midnight Caller feat. The Legendary Pink Dots
8. Suitcase feat. Sonny Landreth
9. Sweet Tuesday Morning feat. Albert Lee
10. Without You feat. Todd Rundgren
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Badfinger - No Dice - Sealed - US - vinyl LP - £195.00, $235.95, €226.20 (New Item) (arrived 20-Jun-2022 16:28)on July 2, 2022 at 5:46 am
BADFINGER No Dice (Rare 1970 US Apple label 1st issue 12-track vinyl LP including the hit No Matter What and the original version of the classic Without You, issued in a striking monochrome gatefold picture sleeve which opens out to a full length portrait. This copy is still factory SEALED from new and is therefore MINT and unplayed! ST3367)
- Badfinger - No Matter What - Solid - UK - 7" vinyl - £15.00, $18.15, €17.40 (New Item) (arrived 18-Mar-2022 09:29)on July 2, 2022 at 5:46 am
BADFINGER No Matter What (1970 UK solid centre 7" vinyl single, also featuring Better Days, Apple company die cut paper sleeve. The vinyl remains in excellent condition with just a few light surface scuffs to show for its fifty years APPLE31)
- Badfinger - Maybe Tomorrow - Japanese - 7" vinyl - £395.00, $477.95, €458.20 (New Item) (arrived 17-Mar-2022 13:42)on July 2, 2022 at 5:46 am
BADFINGER Maybe Tomorrow (Mega rare 1971 wide centre promotional vinyl 7" for the single release with custom black on white Apple labels, also including And Her Daddy's Millionaire credited to The Iveys (only on the label), the groups original name before they became Badfinger in November 1969. Complete with the unique wrap-around picture insert featuring different artwork to that used on the commercial release, and printed with a biography text inside and lyrics to both songs on the reverse. The insert displays minimal wear, with just a couple of very small and light spots of foxing, whilst the vinyl remains in an outstanding condition with very little signs of play AR-2899)
- Badfinger - Apple Of My Eye - Japanese - 7" vinyl - £250.00, $302.50, €290.00 (New Item) (arrived 17-Mar-2022 13:23)on July 2, 2022 at 5:46 am
BADFINGER Apple Of My Eye (Extremely rare 1973 Japanese only 7" vinyl single on the Apple label manufactured by Toshiba-EMI Ltd., also including Cowboy, with the unique wraparound picture insert with lyrics & pictorial Apple discography inside& on the back, and within the Apple company die-cut sleeve. The insert displays just a little light general wear from handeling and a few small spots of foxing, however, the vinyl remains in a 'near mint' condition. A stunning example and thefirst copy we have ever seen! EAR-10547)
- Badfinger - Come And Get It - 2nd - Japanese - 7" vinyl - £95.00, $114.95, €110.20 (New Item) (arrived 04-Mar-2022 17:54)on July 2, 2022 at 5:46 am
BADFINGER Come And Get It (Rare 1969 Japanese second issue Apple label 7" vinyl single composed by Paul McCartney, with 'MFD. By Toshiba Musical Industries' label text, also including Rock Of All Ages, great unique 'Magic Christian' wraparoundpicture insert with the '¥400' price point, featuring a green tinted Raquel Welch & Ringo Starr image with a black & white band image background and pink title text, printed with lyrics & Japanese text inside. The insert has minimal wear whilst thevinyl shows little signs of play AR-2444)