Jethro Tull‘s Ian Anderson has joined forces with legendary vocalist Terry Reid on a new version of Badfinger‘s Day After Day, The pair, with Reid on vocals and Anderson supplying flute, are backed by the Manchester String Quartet. You can listen to a stream of the new version below.
“Like many of my contemporaries, I remember ‘The New Beatles,’ as Badfinger were unfortunately dubbed by the UK press,” says Anderson. “Great songwriting and production by George Harrison. [This version is] brought to life here by the Manchester String Quartet, alumnis of the Northern Royal College Of Music. I tried to find a few harmonies and simple counterpoints to interject into their splendid performance. For me, an elegant and nostalgic experience.”
“It was great to go back and listen to this song again and get to play guitar on it as I’ve always loved the band and this song,” adds Reid. “I got to hang out with Joey back in the day and he’s a really great guy and a fine musician. Playing on this song brought back some great memories of a musical era that will never be forgotten by me and many others.”
Day After Day, written by the late Badfinger singer and guitarist Pete Ham, featured on the band’s 1972 album Straight Up, which was released on the Beatles’ Apple label and produced by George Harrison. As a single it reached number 10 in the UK charts.
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- George Harrison - When We Was Fab - UK - 7" vinyl - £8.00, $10.00, €8.96 (New Item) (arrived 04-Aug-2020 09:32)on August 4, 2020 at 9:31 am
GEORGE HARRISON When We Was Fab (1988 UK solid centre 7" vinyl single with both cuts produced and written by Harrison and Jeff Lynne, also including Zig Zag which did not appear on his Cloud Nine album, picture sleeve W8131)
- George Harrison - All Those Years Ago - UK - 7" vinyl - £6.99, $8.74, €7.83 (New Item) (arrived 03-Aug-2020 17:20)on August 4, 2020 at 9:31 am
GEORGE HARRISON All Those Years Ago (1981 UK solid centre 7" vinyl single, also including Writing's On The Wall, plain die-cut paper sleeve K17807)
- George Harrison - All Those Years Ago + p/s - UK - 7" vinyl - £8.00, $10.00, €8.96 (New Item) (arrived 03-Aug-2020 17:18)on August 4, 2020 at 9:31 am
GEORGE HARRISON All Those Years Ago (1981 UK solid centre 7" vinyl single, also including Writing's On The Wall, picture sleeve with lyrics on the back K17807)
- Jethro Tull - Aqualung - Red Obi - Japanese - vinyl LP - £125.00, $156.25, €140.00 (New Item) (arrived 30-Jul-2020 17:58)on August 4, 2020 at 9:31 am
JETHRO TULL Aqualung (Rare 1975 Japanese issue 11-track vinyl LP, housed inside a pasted gatefold picture sleeve with Japanese/Engligh lyric insert and the red 'British Rock Invasion on Chrysalis' obi-strip. Both sleeve and vinyl remain near mint along with the insert and other than the tiniest of foxing to the top edge the obi is otherwise untouched - overall near 'as new' condition copy and the first we've seen of this edition! CHR-1044)
- Jethro Tull - Benefit - Japanese - vinyl LP - Promo - £195.00, $243.75, €218.40 (New Item) (arrived 30-Jul-2020 17:20)on August 4, 2020 at 9:31 am
JETHRO TULL Benefit (Rare 1975 Japanese 10-track white title label promo sample LP manufactures by King Records, picture sleeve with Japanese/lyric insert & 'British Rock Invasion' obi-strip. The sleeve & obi display very little evidence of wear or age, the vinyl has only a few light cosmetic paper scuffs and otherwise looks barely played CHR1043)