Jethro Tull‘s Ian Anderson has joined forces with legendary vocalist Terry Reid on a new version of Badfinger‘s Day After Day, The pair, with Reid on vocals and Anderson supplying flute, are backed by the Manchester String Quartet. You can listen to a stream of the new version below.
“Like many of my contemporaries, I remember ‘The New Beatles,’ as Badfinger were unfortunately dubbed by the UK press,” says Anderson. “Great songwriting and production by George Harrison. [This version is] brought to life here by the Manchester String Quartet, alumnis of the Northern Royal College Of Music. I tried to find a few harmonies and simple counterpoints to interject into their splendid performance. For me, an elegant and nostalgic experience.”
“It was great to go back and listen to this song again and get to play guitar on it as I’ve always loved the band and this song,” adds Reid. “I got to hang out with Joey back in the day and he’s a really great guy and a fine musician. Playing on this song brought back some great memories of a musical era that will never be forgotten by me and many others.”
Day After Day, written by the late Badfinger singer and guitarist Pete Ham, featured on the band’s 1972 album Straight Up, which was released on the Beatles’ Apple label and produced by George Harrison. As a single it reached number 10 in the UK charts.
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Jethro Tull - Living In The Past EP - RSD13 - Sealed - UK - 7" vinyl - £35.00, $47.60, €39.20 (New Item) (arrived 01-Apr-2021 11:40)on April 10, 2021 at 8:22 pm
JETHRO TULL Living In The Past EP (2013 UK limited edition 4-track 7" vinyl EP released exclusively for Record Store Day, also including Witch's Promise, Teacher [UK Version 2013 Mix] and Life Is A Long Song. The vinyl is UNPLAYED within the retro flipback card picture sleeve which remains sealed 'as new')
- Jethro Tull - Stand Up - 4th - WOS - UK - vinyl LP - £25.00, $34.00, €28.00 (New Item) (arrived 17-Mar-2021 15:19)on April 10, 2021 at 8:22 pm
JETHRO TULL Stand Up (1971 UK issue of the 1969 10-track stereo LP on the pink rim 'palm tree' label, housed in a gatefold 'pop-up' picture sleeve. Apart from a few numbers written in biro neatly on the back, the sleeve shows just a little light shelfwear with a bit of edge scuffing & the vinyl remains in wonderful condition with few signs of play ILPS9103)
- Jethro Tull - Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll - 1st - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £25.00, $34.00, €28.00 (Back In Stock) (arrived 15-Mar-2021 06:50)on April 10, 2021 at 8:22 pm
JETHRO TULL Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll (1976 UK first issue 10-track LP on the green Chrysalis label, gatefold picture sleeve with lyrics on the back. The sleeve shows a little shelfwear & the vinyl is Excellent with minimal play CHR1111)
- George Harrison - Gone Troppo - UK - vinyl LP - £25.00, $34.00, €28.00 (New Item) (arrived 15-Mar-2021 10:10)on April 10, 2021 at 8:22 pm
GEORGE HARRISON Gone Troppo (1982 UK 10-track vinyl LP, complete picture sleeve with illustrated lyric inner. The sleeve shows minimal shelfwear & the vinyl is near 'as new')
- George Harrison - Somewhere In England - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £15.00, $20.40, €16.80 (New Item) (arrived 15-Mar-2021 10:11)on April 10, 2021 at 8:22 pm
GEORGE HARRISON Somewhere In England (1981 UK 10-track vinyl LP including the hit single All Those Years Ago. The glossy picture sleeve shows just a little light shelfwear but comes complete with the illustrated lyric inner and the vinyl remainsin excellent condition with few signs of play K56870)