From Planet Rock.
Status Quo have announced their 33rd studio album ‘Backbone’ – their first long-player not to feature the late-great Rick Parfitt in any way.
Released on Friday 6th September 2019 via earMUSIC / Edel, the album features 11 new songs that were recorded at Francis Rossi’s studio in the closing months of 2018 and into early 2019.
Three of the songs on ‘Backbone’ were penned by the classic song-writing partnership of Francis Rossi and Bob Young, with the other members of Status Quo chipping in on the other tracks.
Francis Rossi explained that with the untimely passing of Rick Parfitt in December 2016, the album had to be great otherwise it wouldn’t have seen the light of day.
“This new material had to be seriously good,” Francis said. “Quo have achieved so much and meant so much to too many people for the quality to slip now. Also, let’s face it, things have changed and we’re an easier target than ever.
“Losing Rick was hard to bear but, through Richie Malone, who was inspired to pick up a guitar by him, we can not only keep going but actually pick up the pace.
“The energy that he and Leon (Cave, drums) bring to Quo can’t be underestimated. I wasn’t sure I had another album in me but I couldn’t be more proud of ‘Backbone’. I hope the fans love it, but you can’t please everyone and I’m not going to start trying to now”.
Available to pre-order right here, ‘Backbone’ is released on the following formats:
– Ltd. 1CD Digipak (including 2 bonus songs)
– 1CD Jewelcase (11 songs)
– 1LP+Download [Gatefold ] (LP: 11 Songs / DWL Card: 13 Songs (incl. 2 bonus songs)
– Limited Edition Box Set (1CD Digipak, Live-Bonus CD recorded during Status’ Quo’s ‘The Last Night Of The Electrics’ tour, Status Quo Collector’s T-Shirt)
1. Waiting For A Woman
2. Cut Me Some Slack
3. Liberty Lane
4. See You’re in Some Trouble
5. Backing Off
6. Wanna Run Away With You
8. Better Take Care
9. Falling Off The World
10. Get Out Of My Head
11. Running Out Of Time
The question we have about this release, can they still call themselves Status Quo?
Don’t forget, Status Quo are the very special guests on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s farewell arena tour at the end of this month.
See Lynyrd Skynyrd and Status Quo at the following shows:
Glasgow The SSE Hydro – Wed 26th
Manchester Arena – Thu 27th
London The SSE Arena Wembley – Sat 29th
Birmingham Resorts World Arena – Sun 30th
Back in March, Francis Rossi released ‘We Talk Too Much’, a collaborative album with vocalist Hannah Rickard whom he had worked with on the ‘Aquostic’ projects.
The day before the album, Francis’ autobiography ‘I Talk Too Much’ hit the shops. He completed an extensive ‘in conversation’ tour last month.
Explore eil.com… the world’s best online store for rare, collectable and out of print Vinyl Records, CDs & Music memorabilia since 1987.
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Status Quo - Ain't Complaining + Merchandise insert - UK - vinyl LP - £20.00, $25.00, €23.40 (New Item) (arrived 23-May-2022 08:58)on May 25, 2022 at 7:06 am
STATUS QUO Ain't Complaining (1988 UK 12-track vinyl LP with Vertigo 'spaceship' labels, song-hype stickered picture sleeve with original blue credits inner and merchandise insert. The sleeve shows only minor storage wear; the vinyl has just the lightest surface scuffs, otherwise shows few signs of play VERH58)
- Status Quo - In The Army Now - Solid - UK - 7" vinyl - £8.00, $10.00, €9.36 (Back In Stock) (arrived 03-May-2022 08:51)on May 25, 2022 at 7:06 am
STATUS QUO In The Army Now (1986 UK 7" vinyl single with crossed guitar logo labels, also including Heartburn, picture sleeve QUO20)
- Status Quo - In The Army Now - UK - vinyl LP - £10.00, $12.50, €11.70 (New Item) (arrived 19-Apr-2022 11:41)on May 25, 2022 at 7:06 am
STATUS QUO In The Army Now (1986 UK 11-track vinyl LP, including Red Sky and Rollin' Home, picture sleeve with illustrated credits inner. The sleeve with its original shop price sticker intact remains in excellent conditon with barely played vinyl VERH36)
- Status Quo - From The Makers Of... - 1st - Numbered - EX - UK - vinyl box set - £25.00, $31.25, €29.25 (New Item) (arrived 26-Apr-2022 09:46)on May 25, 2022 at 7:06 am
STATUS QUO From The Makers Of... (Limited Edition 1982 UK second issue 36-track triple LP box set, including two 'Best Of' LPs & one Live, complete with four inserts, all housed in the custom blue embossed circular metal tin with the name on the front in blue & an individually numbered tracklist sticker on the back. The tin shows a little sign of weathering & all three vinyl discs remain Excellent with only light evidence of play. A really nice example PROBX1)
- Status Quo - We Ain't Complaining - UK - tour programme - £15.00, $18.75, €17.55 (New Item) (arrived 26-Apr-2022 09:56)on May 25, 2022 at 7:06 am
STATUS QUO We Ain't Complaining (Official 1988 UK 24 page 12" square tour programme issued during their 1988 European Summer Tour and features tour dates, tour personnel, individual band member biographies and lots of great photographs. The cover has just a little light wear and otherwise remains excellent)