From Planet Rock.
Status Quo have announced their 33rd studio album ‘Backbone’ – their first long-player not to feature the late-great Rick Parfitt in any way.
Released on Friday 6th September 2019 via earMUSIC / Edel, the album features 11 new songs that were recorded at Francis Rossi’s studio in the closing months of 2018 and into early 2019.
Three of the songs on ‘Backbone’ were penned by the classic song-writing partnership of Francis Rossi and Bob Young, with the other members of Status Quo chipping in on the other tracks.
Francis Rossi explained that with the untimely passing of Rick Parfitt in December 2016, the album had to be great otherwise it wouldn’t have seen the light of day.
“This new material had to be seriously good,” Francis said. “Quo have achieved so much and meant so much to too many people for the quality to slip now. Also, let’s face it, things have changed and we’re an easier target than ever.
“Losing Rick was hard to bear but, through Richie Malone, who was inspired to pick up a guitar by him, we can not only keep going but actually pick up the pace.
“The energy that he and Leon (Cave, drums) bring to Quo can’t be underestimated. I wasn’t sure I had another album in me but I couldn’t be more proud of ‘Backbone’. I hope the fans love it, but you can’t please everyone and I’m not going to start trying to now”.
Available to pre-order right here, ‘Backbone’ is released on the following formats:
– Ltd. 1CD Digipak (including 2 bonus songs)
– 1CD Jewelcase (11 songs)
– 1LP+Download [Gatefold ] (LP: 11 Songs / DWL Card: 13 Songs (incl. 2 bonus songs)
– Limited Edition Box Set (1CD Digipak, Live-Bonus CD recorded during Status’ Quo’s ‘The Last Night Of The Electrics’ tour, Status Quo Collector’s T-Shirt)
1. Waiting For A Woman
2. Cut Me Some Slack
3. Liberty Lane
4. See You’re in Some Trouble
5. Backing Off
6. Wanna Run Away With You
8. Better Take Care
9. Falling Off The World
10. Get Out Of My Head
11. Running Out Of Time
The question we have about this release, can they still call themselves Status Quo?
Don’t forget, Status Quo are the very special guests on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s farewell arena tour at the end of this month.
See Lynyrd Skynyrd and Status Quo at the following shows:
Glasgow The SSE Hydro – Wed 26th
Manchester Arena – Thu 27th
London The SSE Arena Wembley – Sat 29th
Birmingham Resorts World Arena – Sun 30th
Back in March, Francis Rossi released ‘We Talk Too Much’, a collaborative album with vocalist Hannah Rickard whom he had worked with on the ‘Aquostic’ projects.
The day before the album, Francis’ autobiography ‘I Talk Too Much’ hit the shops. He completed an extensive ‘in conversation’ tour last month.
Explore eil.com… the world’s best online store for rare, collectable and out of print Vinyl Records, CDs & Music memorabilia since 1987.
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Status Quo - Rockin' All Over The World - UK - vinyl LP - £10.00, $13.60, €11.20 (New Item) (arrived 02-Mar-2021 15:01)on March 3, 2021 at 2:12 pm
STATUS QUO Rockin' All Over The World (1977 UK 12-track vinyl LP, their tenth studio album including the classic title track, complete with illustrated inner, picture sleeve. The sleeve shows just a little light shelfwear & the vinyl remains in excellent condition with few signs of play)
- Status Quo - Whatever You Want + Insert - Australian - vinyl LP - £25.00, $34.00, €28.00 (Back In Stock) (arrived 25-Feb-2021 09:10)on March 3, 2021 at 2:12 pm
STATUS QUO Whatever You Want (1979 Australisian 10-track vinyl LP on the Vertigo 'spaceship' label, includes Living On An Island and the title track & stone cold classic Whatever You Want, matt picture sleeve featuring great cover art by Design Machine / Andrew Aloof, with the lyric printed insert. The sleeve displays just a little light general wear, whilst the vinyl has just a few light signs of play)
- Status Quo - Rock 'Til You Drop - UK - vinyl LP - £50.00, $68.00, €56.00 (Back In Stock) (arrived 25-Feb-2021 09:09)on March 3, 2021 at 2:12 pm
STATUS QUO Rock 'Til You Drop (1991 UK 10-track vinyl LP on retro Vertigo swirl label, the twentieth studio album by English rock band, glossy picture sleeve. There is a little storage wear along the top edge of the sleeve sleeve and, aside fromacouple of light surface scuffs, the vinyl shows very little evidence of play)
- Status Quo - 1982 - Nineteen Eighty Two - 1st - UK - vinyl LP - £10.00, $13.60, €11.20 (Back In Stock) (arrived 25-Feb-2021 09:09)on March 3, 2021 at 2:12 pm
STATUS QUO 1982 (1982 UK 11-track LP, including the single Dear John, complete with lyric inner & the original embossed picture sleeve. The sleeve shows just a little light shelfwear & the vinyl remains in excellent condition with few signs of play)
- Status Quo - Perfect Remedy - UK - vinyl LP - £30.00, $40.80, €33.60 (Back In Stock) (arrived 25-Feb-2021 09:09)on March 3, 2021 at 2:12 pm
STATUS QUO Perfect Remedy (1989 UK 12-track vinyl LP, the mighty Quo's nineteenth studio album including the singles Little Dreamer and Not at All, housed in a glossy picture sleeve. The sleeve shows just a little light wear & the vinyl still looks barely played. A nice example!)