From Planet Rock.
Status Quo have announced their 33rd studio album ‘Backbone’ – their first long-player not to feature the late-great Rick Parfitt in any way.
Released on Friday 6th September 2019 via earMUSIC / Edel, the album features 11 new songs that were recorded at Francis Rossi’s studio in the closing months of 2018 and into early 2019.
Three of the songs on ‘Backbone’ were penned by the classic song-writing partnership of Francis Rossi and Bob Young, with the other members of Status Quo chipping in on the other tracks.
Francis Rossi explained that with the untimely passing of Rick Parfitt in December 2016, the album had to be great otherwise it wouldn’t have seen the light of day.
“This new material had to be seriously good,” Francis said. “Quo have achieved so much and meant so much to too many people for the quality to slip now. Also, let’s face it, things have changed and we’re an easier target than ever.
“Losing Rick was hard to bear but, through Richie Malone, who was inspired to pick up a guitar by him, we can not only keep going but actually pick up the pace.
“The energy that he and Leon (Cave, drums) bring to Quo can’t be underestimated. I wasn’t sure I had another album in me but I couldn’t be more proud of ‘Backbone’. I hope the fans love it, but you can’t please everyone and I’m not going to start trying to now”.
Available to pre-order right here, ‘Backbone’ is released on the following formats:
– Ltd. 1CD Digipak (including 2 bonus songs)
– 1CD Jewelcase (11 songs)
– 1LP+Download [Gatefold ] (LP: 11 Songs / DWL Card: 13 Songs (incl. 2 bonus songs)
– Limited Edition Box Set (1CD Digipak, Live-Bonus CD recorded during Status’ Quo’s ‘The Last Night Of The Electrics’ tour, Status Quo Collector’s T-Shirt)
1. Waiting For A Woman
2. Cut Me Some Slack
3. Liberty Lane
4. See You’re in Some Trouble
5. Backing Off
6. Wanna Run Away With You
8. Better Take Care
9. Falling Off The World
10. Get Out Of My Head
11. Running Out Of Time
The question we have about this release, can they still call themselves Status Quo?
Don’t forget, Status Quo are the very special guests on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s farewell arena tour at the end of this month.
See Lynyrd Skynyrd and Status Quo at the following shows:
Glasgow The SSE Hydro – Wed 26th
Manchester Arena – Thu 27th
London The SSE Arena Wembley – Sat 29th
Birmingham Resorts World Arena – Sun 30th
Back in March, Francis Rossi released ‘We Talk Too Much’, a collaborative album with vocalist Hannah Rickard whom he had worked with on the ‘Aquostic’ projects.
The day before the album, Francis’ autobiography ‘I Talk Too Much’ hit the shops. He completed an extensive ‘in conversation’ tour last month.
Explore eil.com… the world’s best online store for rare, collectable and out of print Vinyl Records, CDs & Music memorabilia since 1987.
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Status Quo - Never Too Late + Ticket Stub - UK - tour programme - £25.00, $31.25, €28.00 (New Item) (arrived 17-Nov-2020 13:25)on November 23, 2020 at 6:53 pm
STATUS QUO Never Too Late - World Tour (Official 1981 UK 24-page tour programme includes double-page family tree, official merchandise and some great full page photographs of each band member, family tree and album artwork cover. Apart from some light signs of age this example remains really nice, and includes a ticket stub for the 14th March show at the Hammersmith Odeon in London)
- Status Quo - The Vinyl Collection 1981-1996 - Sealed - UK - vinyl box set - £124.99, $156.24, €139.99 (Back In Stock) (arrived 31-Oct-2020 10:23)on November 23, 2020 at 6:53 pm
STATUS QUO The Vinyl Collection 1981-1996 (2017 UK Deluxe Edition Ten LP Box set, remastered from original tapes and pressed on 180 Gram Vinyl, includes the albums Never Too Late, 1982, Back To Back, In The Army Now, Ain't Complaining,Perfect Remedy, Rock till You Drop, Thirsty Work, Don't Stop and The Other Side Of Status Quo; each album in a picture sleeve replicating the original release, all housed in a 12½" square by 2" wide card picture slipcase sleeve. This example isfactory sealed from new, and remains in an unplayed condition)
- Status Quo - Can't Give You More - UK - 7" vinyl - £8.00, $10.00, €8.96 (Back In Stock) (arrived 13-Oct-2020 07:48)on November 23, 2020 at 6:53 pm
STATUS QUO Can't Give You More (1991 UK 7" vinyl single, also including Dead In The Water. The glossy card flipback style picture sleeve displays only light wear with the vinyl in excellent condition QUO30)
- Status Quo - Down The Dustpipe - 4pr - UK - 7" vinyl - £15.00, $18.75, €16.80 (Back In Stock) (arrived 13-Oct-2020 08:40)on November 23, 2020 at 6:53 pm
STATUS QUO Down The Dustpipe (1970 UK 7" vinyl single with intact four prong centre, also including Face Without A Soul, Pye company die-cut paper sleeve 7N17907)
- Status Quo - On The Level - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £8.00, $10.00, €8.96 (New Item) (arrived 15-Oct-2020 12:05)on November 23, 2020 at 6:53 pm
STATUS QUO On The Level (1975 UK 10-track vinyl LP on the Vertigo 'spaceship' label, including Nightride, a great cover of Chuck Berry's Bye Bye Johnny and the massive No1 classic, Down Down. The textured picture sleeve shows some light signs of wear, some scuffs and creasing but the vinyl is an excellent example)