From Planet Rock.
Status Quo have announced their 33rd studio album ‘Backbone’ – their first long-player not to feature the late-great Rick Parfitt in any way.
Released on Friday 6th September 2019 via earMUSIC / Edel, the album features 11 new songs that were recorded at Francis Rossi’s studio in the closing months of 2018 and into early 2019.
Three of the songs on ‘Backbone’ were penned by the classic song-writing partnership of Francis Rossi and Bob Young, with the other members of Status Quo chipping in on the other tracks.
Francis Rossi explained that with the untimely passing of Rick Parfitt in December 2016, the album had to be great otherwise it wouldn’t have seen the light of day.
“This new material had to be seriously good,” Francis said. “Quo have achieved so much and meant so much to too many people for the quality to slip now. Also, let’s face it, things have changed and we’re an easier target than ever.
“Losing Rick was hard to bear but, through Richie Malone, who was inspired to pick up a guitar by him, we can not only keep going but actually pick up the pace.
“The energy that he and Leon (Cave, drums) bring to Quo can’t be underestimated. I wasn’t sure I had another album in me but I couldn’t be more proud of ‘Backbone’. I hope the fans love it, but you can’t please everyone and I’m not going to start trying to now”.
Available to pre-order right here, ‘Backbone’ is released on the following formats:
– Ltd. 1CD Digipak (including 2 bonus songs)
– 1CD Jewelcase (11 songs)
– 1LP+Download [Gatefold ] (LP: 11 Songs / DWL Card: 13 Songs (incl. 2 bonus songs)
– Limited Edition Box Set (1CD Digipak, Live-Bonus CD recorded during Status’ Quo’s ‘The Last Night Of The Electrics’ tour, Status Quo Collector’s T-Shirt)
1. Waiting For A Woman
2. Cut Me Some Slack
3. Liberty Lane
4. See You’re in Some Trouble
5. Backing Off
6. Wanna Run Away With You
8. Better Take Care
9. Falling Off The World
10. Get Out Of My Head
11. Running Out Of Time
The question we have about this release, can they still call themselves Status Quo?
Don’t forget, Status Quo are the very special guests on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s farewell arena tour at the end of this month.
See Lynyrd Skynyrd and Status Quo at the following shows:
Glasgow The SSE Hydro – Wed 26th
Manchester Arena – Thu 27th
London The SSE Arena Wembley – Sat 29th
Birmingham Resorts World Arena – Sun 30th
Back in March, Francis Rossi released ‘We Talk Too Much’, a collaborative album with vocalist Hannah Rickard whom he had worked with on the ‘Aquostic’ projects.
The day before the album, Francis’ autobiography ‘I Talk Too Much’ hit the shops. He completed an extensive ‘in conversation’ tour last month.
Explore eil.com… the world’s best online store for rare, collectable and out of print Vinyl Records, CDs & Music memorabilia since 1987.
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Status Quo - Down The Dustpipe - UK - vinyl LP - £10.00, $12.50, €11.20 (New Item) (arrived 05-Aug-2020 12:58)on August 9, 2020 at 5:55 am
STATUS QUO Down The Dustpipe (1975 UK 18-track LP compilation, featuring original Pye recordings from 1969-71, embossed picture sleeve. The sleeve & vinyl are Excellent with just light signs of wear & play GH604)
- Status Quo - Rain - Inj - UK - 7" vinyl - £8.00, $10.00, €8.96 (New Item) (arrived 29-Jul-2020 16:18)on August 9, 2020 at 5:55 am
STATUS QUO Rain (1976 UK injection moulded 7" vinyl single, also including You Lost The Love, Phonogram company die cut paper sleeve)
- Status Quo - Rockin' All Over The World - EX - Japanese - vinyl LP - Promo - £85.00, $106.25, €95.20 (New Item) (arrived 28-Jul-2020 09:15)on August 9, 2020 at 5:55 am
STATUS QUO Rockin' All Over The World (1977 Japanese promotional sample 12-track LP with custom black on white labels, housed in a deluxe picture sleeve complete with illustrated inner, Japanese/lyric insert & 'Rock Company' obi-strip. The packaging is Excellent & shows the lightest bit of shelf wear, the vinyl is nice & clean & grades EX- revealing some light paper hairline scuffs visible under a bright light which do not affect play RJ-7323)
- Status Quo - On The Level - UK - vinyl LP - £12.00, $15.00, €13.44 (New Item) (arrived 25-Jul-2020 14:32)on August 9, 2020 at 5:55 am
STATUS QUO On The Level (1975 UK 10-track LP, complete with lyric inner, textured gatefold picture sleeve. The sleeve shows minimal wear & the vinyl looks barely played)
- Status Quo - Hello! - Complete - UK - vinyl LP - £40.00, $50.00, €44.80 (New Item) (arrived 22-Jul-2020 15:17)on August 9, 2020 at 5:55 am
STATUS QUO Hello! (1973 UK 8-track vinyl LP on the 'spaceship' Vertigo label, their sixth studio album including the classic hit Caroline. The silver embossed picture sleeve shows just a little light shelfwear to the edges and comes complete with lyric inner which has a little age yellowing plus the rare 32" x 22" fold-out poster while the vinyl looks barely played - A nice complete copy!)