From the NME.
The guitarist was speaking to GibsonTV last month in a lengthy interview which covered his life and career in Black Sabbath, who bowed out for good in 2017.
Iommi recalled in the interview how Black Sabbath went about finding a new vocalist following the departure of the late Ronnie James Dio in November 1982.
“I phoned David Coverdale up, and he said, ‘Oh, I just got this band together, Whitesnake. Why didn’t you phone me before?’” Iommi said (46:00 in the below interview).
“I said: ‘Because [Dio] hadn’t left before; it’s happened now.’”
“It just went on a bit, and we couldn’t decide.”
Black Sabbath eventually hired Deep Purple frontman Ian Gillan, who recorded the 1983 album ‘Born Again’ before leaving the band.
Bolton’s apparent audition has become part of the band’s folklore, but the soft-rock singer dismissed it as just “a rumour” in a 2014 interview.
“That rumour about me auditioning for Black Sabbath was only a rumour,” Bolton told The Echo in 2014. “I don’t know how on Earth it started.”
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Black Sabbath - Sabotage - EX/NM - UK - vinyl LP - £250.00, $312.50, €280.00 (New Item) (arrived 12-Aug-2020 09:20)on August 12, 2020 at 10:39 am
BLACK SABBATH Sabotage (Rare 1975 UK first issue 8-track LP with 'Nems Records & Tapes' logo and catalogue number '9119 001', textured picture sleeve with the same catalogue number on the spine & the back. Aside from a small mark in the top right corner due to sticker removal, the sleeve shows minimal wear and the vinyl is Near Mint with no need to upgrade)
- Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath - Japanese - vinyl LP - £65.00, $81.25, €72.80 (New Item) (arrived 20-Jul-2020 12:26)on August 12, 2020 at 10:39 am
BLACK SABBATH Black Sabbath (1975 Japanese-only 8-track vinyl LP compilation, unique pasted picture sleeve with English song lyrics on the reverse. The shows has some wear mostly to the edges but without any splits or rips, the vinyl has just a few very light cosmetic surface scuffs. Overall an excellent example of this hard to find pressing PAT-1003)
- Michael Bolton - Soul Provider - UK - vinyl LP - £15.00, $18.75, €16.80 (New Item) (arrived 25-Jun-2020 15:45)on August 12, 2020 at 10:39 am
MICHAEL BOLTON Soul Provider (1989 UK 10-track vinyl LP, the sixth studio album from the American singer-songwriter. Complete with the lyric inner which has some age foxing evident, the glossy picture sleeve has only light shelfwear to the edges and the vinyl has only light signs of play)
- Michael Bolton - Time, Love & Tenderness - Dutch - vinyl LP - £15.00, $18.75, €16.80 (New Item) (arrived 25-Jun-2020 15:47)on August 12, 2020 at 10:39 am
MICHAEL BOLTON Time, Love & Tenderness (1991 Dutch 10-track vinyl LP including the singles Love Is A Wonderful Thing, When A Man Loves A Woman, Missing You Now and the title track. The glossy picture sleeve shows just a little light shelfwearbut comes with the lyric inner and the vinyl looks barely played COL4678121)
- Black Sabbath - Live Evil - EX - UK - 2-LP vinyl set - £25.00, $31.25, €28.00 (New Item) (arrived 30-Jun-2020 10:13)on August 12, 2020 at 10:39 am
BLACK SABBATH Live Evil (1983 UK 14-track double live LP, featuring the band fronted by Ronnie James Dio thundering through a set that includes Neon Knights, War Pigs, Iron Man, Fluff and many more, glossy gatefold picture sleeve. The sleeve has some light edgewear, whilst the vinyl has just the odd light sign of play - a great play copy SAB10)