From the NME.
The guitarist was speaking to GibsonTV last month in a lengthy interview which covered his life and career in Black Sabbath, who bowed out for good in 2017.
Iommi recalled in the interview how Black Sabbath went about finding a new vocalist following the departure of the late Ronnie James Dio in November 1982.
“I phoned David Coverdale up, and he said, ‘Oh, I just got this band together, Whitesnake. Why didn’t you phone me before?’” Iommi said (46:00 in the below interview).
“I said: ‘Because [Dio] hadn’t left before; it’s happened now.’”
“It just went on a bit, and we couldn’t decide.”
Black Sabbath eventually hired Deep Purple frontman Ian Gillan, who recorded the 1983 album ‘Born Again’ before leaving the band.
Bolton’s apparent audition has become part of the band’s folklore, but the soft-rock singer dismissed it as just “a rumour” in a 2014 interview.
“That rumour about me auditioning for Black Sabbath was only a rumour,” Bolton told The Echo in 2014. “I don’t know how on Earth it started.”
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Michael Bolton - Timeless - The Classics Vol II - UK - CD album - Promo - £8.00, $9.84, €9.04 (Back In Stock) (arrived 30-Jan-2023 09:26)on February 2, 2023 at 7:26 pm
MICHAEL BOLTON Timeless - The Classics Vol II (1999 UK 12-track promotional CD of cover versions including Sexual Healing, My Girl, Like A Rolling Stone & A Whiter Shade Of Pale. Issued to radio stations in a unique custom picture sleeve XPCD-1215)
- Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - 3rd - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £20.00, $24.60, €22.60 (New Item) (arrived 23-Dec-2022 17:11)on February 2, 2023 at 7:26 pm
BLACK SABBATH Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Mid 70s UK issue of the 1973 8-track LP on a black & silver label with white 'WWA' lettering, gatefold picture sleeve bordered inside. The sleeve displays some minor shelfwear, whilst the vinyl looks seldom played WWA005)
- Michael Bolton - How Am I Supposed To Live Without You - UK - 12" vinyl - £9.99, $12.29, €11.29 (New Item) (arrived 08-Dec-2022 11:41)on February 2, 2023 at 7:26 pm
MICHAEL BOLTON How Am I Supposed To Live Without You (1990 UK 4-track 12" vinyl single featuring Forever Eyes, Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay & That's What Love Is All About - live. The picture sleeve & vinyl remain in excellent condition)
- Black Sabbath - Never Say Die! - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £30.00, $36.90, €33.90 (New Item) (arrived 16-Dec-2022 15:30)on February 2, 2023 at 7:26 pm
BLACK SABBATH Never Say Die! (1978 UK 'spaceship' label 9-track LP, complete with illustrated credits inner, fully laminated picture sleeve. The sleeve shows just a little light shelfwear & the vinyl remains in excellent condition with just afew light surface scuffs to show for over forty years)
- Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - 2nd - VG - UK - vinyl LP - £35.00, $43.05, €39.55 (New Item) (arrived 21-Dec-2022 12:34)on February 2, 2023 at 7:26 pm
BLACK SABBATH Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973 UK second issue 8-track vinyl LP on the black & silver label with silver 'WWA' label logo, housed in matt gatefold picture sleeve with the inside image going all the way to the outer edges without a border. The rear of the sleeve states manufactured and printed in England with no reference to 'Howards Printers' and has 'album concept and design: Pacific Eye & Ear...' credit printed in a bold print on the back. The sleeve displays just a little light general wear with scuffing mainly to spine, the vinyl has a few surface scuffs & marks but remains in EX/VG condition WWA005)