The deluxe box set will feature all 17 tracks which have been newly mixed by producer Giles Martin and engineer Sam Okell in stereo, hi-res stereo, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos, with the package also set to feature 23 session recordings and demos – the majority of which are previously unreleased.
It will be the first time that Abbey Road has been remixed and presented with additional session recordings and demos and follows the expanded editions of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and the White Album.
In his forward for the new package, Paul McCartney says: “The Beatles recording journey had gone through many twists and turns, learning curves and thrilling rides. Here we were – still wondering at the magic of it all.”
The box set’s 40 tracks will be spread across three CDs, while a Blu-ray will contain the Dolby Atmos, 96kHz/24 bit high resolution stereo, and 96 kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. A vinyl package will also be made available.
The package will be presented in a 12 x 12, 100-page hardback book featuring McCartney’s forward, an introduction by Martin, chapters by Beatles historian Kevin Howlett, track-by-track details and session notes, along with an essay by journalist and author David Hepworth which will look at the influence the record has had since its launch.
The book will also feature illustrations and previously unpublished photographs, including many by Linda McCartney. There will be images of handwritten lyrics, a George Martin score, recording sheets, tape boxes and reproduced print adverts from the original release.
Giles Martin explains: “The magic comes from the hands playing the instruments, the blend of The Beatles’ voices, the beauty of the arrangements.
“Our quest is simply to ensure everything sounds as fresh and hits you as hard as it would have on the day it was recorded.”
The news comes 50 years to the day since the Fab Four left London’s EMI Recording studios to march across the Abbey Road zebra crossing for that famous cover shot.
It’ll be released on September 27 through Apple Corps Ltd/Capitol/UMe.
To mark the announcement, three versions of Something have been released: The 2019 mix, a studio demo and an instrumental version which can be listened to below.
The Beatles: Abbey Road Deluxe Box Set
CD1: 2019 Stereo Mix
1. Come Together
3. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
4. Oh! Darling
5. Octopus’s Garden
6. I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
7. Here Comes The Sun
9. You Never Give Me Your Money
10. Sun King
11. Mean Mr Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. The End
17. Her Majesty
1. I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (Trident Recording Session & Reduction Mix)
2. Goodbye (Home Demo)
3. Something (Studio Demo)
4. The Ballad Of John And Yoko (Take 7)
5. Old Brown Shoe (Take 2)
6. Oh! Darling (Take 4)
7. Octopus’s Garden (Take 9)
8. You Never Give Me Your Money (Take 36)
9. Her Majesty (Takes 1–3)
10. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Takes 1–3 / Medley)
11. Here Comes The Sun (Take 9)
12. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer (Take 12)
CD 3: Sessions
1. Come Together (Take 5)
2. The End (Take 3)
3. Come And Get It (Studio Demo)
4. Sun King (Take 20)
5. Mean Mr Mustard (Take 20)
6. Polythene Pam (Take 27)
7. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Take 27)
8. Because (Take 1 – Instrumental)
9. The Long One (Trial Edit & Mix – 30 July 1969)
(Medley: You Never Give Me Your Money, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Her Majesty, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End)
10. Something (Take 39 – Instrumental – Strings Only)
11. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Take 17 – Instrumental – Strings & Brass Only)
Blu-ray: Abbey Road
96kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
96kHz/24 bit High Res Stereo (2019 Stereo Mix)
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- The Beatles - Rubber Soul - 1st - Loud Cut - G&L - VG - UK - vinyl LP - £295.00, $362.85, €333.35 (New Item) (arrived 01-Feb-2023 15:43)on February 2, 2023 at 2:23 am
THE BEATLES Rubber Soul (Rare 1965 UK first press 14-track mono vinyl LP on the black & yellow Parlophone label, with 'The Gramophone Co.' & 'Sold In The UK' text, G&L front laminated flipback picture sleeve with rounded ended flipbacks & 'Patents Pending' on the bottom flip. The matrices both end -1, indicating that this is the earliest & hard to find LOUD CUT variant PMC1267) **See 'More Info' for further details on condition**
- The Beatles - Help! - barcoded - UK - vinyl LP - £25.00, $30.75, €28.25 (New Item) (arrived 31-Jan-2023 12:15)on February 2, 2023 at 2:23 am
THE BEATLES Help! - barcoded (1988 UK stereo issue of the 1965 14-track LP on the two EMI boxed logo label with 'All Rights' perimeter text, glossy picture sleeve. The sleeve retains its opened shrink so displays very little wear while the vinyl shows few, if any signs of play PCS3071)
- The Beatles - All This And World War II + Poster - UK - 2-LP vinyl set - £18.00, $22.14, €20.34 (New Item) (arrived 27-Jan-2023 13:46)on February 2, 2023 at 2:23 am
VARIOUS All This & World War II (1976 UK 28-track double LP, featuring the songs from the Lou Reisner production, with versions of classic Lennon & McCartney songs, including The Bee Gees performing Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight, Sun Kingand She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, & covers by Elton John, David Essex, Status Quo & Tina Turner amongst others. Housed in a gatefold picture sleeve complete with lyric inners & 17" x 24" fold-out poster. The sleeve shows some lightspine scuffing, whilst the vinyl has only a few light signs of playt RVLP2)
- The Beatles - Revolver - 1st - Mix 11 - VG - UK - vinyl LP - £495.00, $608.85, €559.35 (New Item) (arrived 27-Jan-2023 15:46)on February 2, 2023 at 2:23 am
THE BEATLES Revolver (Ultra rare 1966 UK withdrawn first pressing 14-track mono LP with 'Sold in U.K.' and 'Gramophone Co' label credits & XEX 606-1 matrix on Side 2 indicating the original 'Mix 11' of Tomorrow Never Knows, only EVER onTHIS pressing, front laminated flipback picture sleeve PMC7009)See 'More Info' for further details on the condition of this LP...
- The Beatles - Let It Be Souvenir Song Album - UK - sheet music - £30.00, $36.90, €33.90 (New Item) (arrived 27-Jan-2023 16:04)on February 2, 2023 at 2:23 am
THE BEATLES Let It Be Souvenir Song Album (1970 UK 24-page songbook for 8 of the songs from the band's last album, featuring piano and guitar parts for Let It Be, The Long And Winding Road, Get Back, One After 909, I Dig A Pony, I've Got A Feeling, Across The Universe and Two Of Us, also sports a forward by Dick James!)