The deluxe box set will feature all 17 tracks which have been newly mixed by producer Giles Martin and engineer Sam Okell in stereo, hi-res stereo, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos, with the package also set to feature 23 session recordings and demos – the majority of which are previously unreleased.
It will be the first time that Abbey Road has been remixed and presented with additional session recordings and demos and follows the expanded editions of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and the White Album.
In his forward for the new package, Paul McCartney says: “The Beatles recording journey had gone through many twists and turns, learning curves and thrilling rides. Here we were – still wondering at the magic of it all.”
The box set’s 40 tracks will be spread across three CDs, while a Blu-ray will contain the Dolby Atmos, 96kHz/24 bit high resolution stereo, and 96 kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. A vinyl package will also be made available.
The package will be presented in a 12 x 12, 100-page hardback book featuring McCartney’s forward, an introduction by Martin, chapters by Beatles historian Kevin Howlett, track-by-track details and session notes, along with an essay by journalist and author David Hepworth which will look at the influence the record has had since its launch.
The book will also feature illustrations and previously unpublished photographs, including many by Linda McCartney. There will be images of handwritten lyrics, a George Martin score, recording sheets, tape boxes and reproduced print adverts from the original release.
Giles Martin explains: “The magic comes from the hands playing the instruments, the blend of The Beatles’ voices, the beauty of the arrangements.
“Our quest is simply to ensure everything sounds as fresh and hits you as hard as it would have on the day it was recorded.”
The news comes 50 years to the day since the Fab Four left London’s EMI Recording studios to march across the Abbey Road zebra crossing for that famous cover shot.
It’ll be released on September 27 through Apple Corps Ltd/Capitol/UMe.
To mark the announcement, three versions of Something have been released: The 2019 mix, a studio demo and an instrumental version which can be listened to below.
The Beatles: Abbey Road Deluxe Box Set
CD1: 2019 Stereo Mix
1. Come Together
3. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
4. Oh! Darling
5. Octopus’s Garden
6. I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
7. Here Comes The Sun
9. You Never Give Me Your Money
10. Sun King
11. Mean Mr Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. The End
17. Her Majesty
1. I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (Trident Recording Session & Reduction Mix)
2. Goodbye (Home Demo)
3. Something (Studio Demo)
4. The Ballad Of John And Yoko (Take 7)
5. Old Brown Shoe (Take 2)
6. Oh! Darling (Take 4)
7. Octopus’s Garden (Take 9)
8. You Never Give Me Your Money (Take 36)
9. Her Majesty (Takes 1–3)
10. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Takes 1–3 / Medley)
11. Here Comes The Sun (Take 9)
12. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer (Take 12)
CD 3: Sessions
1. Come Together (Take 5)
2. The End (Take 3)
3. Come And Get It (Studio Demo)
4. Sun King (Take 20)
5. Mean Mr Mustard (Take 20)
6. Polythene Pam (Take 27)
7. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Take 27)
8. Because (Take 1 – Instrumental)
9. The Long One (Trial Edit & Mix – 30 July 1969)
(Medley: You Never Give Me Your Money, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Her Majesty, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End)
10. Something (Take 39 – Instrumental – Strings Only)
11. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Take 17 – Instrumental – Strings & Brass Only)
Blu-ray: Abbey Road
96kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
96kHz/24 bit High Res Stereo (2019 Stereo Mix)
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- The Beatles - Anthology 1 - UK - 3-LP vinyl set - £50.00, $68.00, €56.00 (Back In Stock) (arrived 25-Feb-2021 09:09)on February 25, 2021 at 11:27 am
THE BEATLES Anthology 1 (1995 UK limited edition 60-track triple LP, the first instalment in the Beatles Anthology series, featuring rarities and alternate takes from 1958-1964, including the 'new' version of Free As A Bird, superb tri-fold gatefold picture sleeve with internal pocket & barcode. The sleeve displays minimal wear & the vinyl still looks barely played PCSP727)
- The Beatles - I Want To Hold Your Hand - 1st - EX - UK - 7" vinyl - £25.00, $34.00, €28.00 (Back In Stock) (arrived 24-Feb-2021 09:11)on February 25, 2021 at 11:27 am
THE BEATLES I Want To Hold Your Hand (1963 UK first issue 7" vinyl single with four-prong centre, 'The Parlophone Co' & 'Recording First Published 1963' but without 'Sold In The UK' label text, also including 'This Boy', Parlophone company die cut paper sleeve. The vinyl on this copy remains in excellent condition with some light surface scuffs to show for over fifty five years R5084)
- The Beatles - Ticket To Ride - Red Vinyl - 4th - Japanese - 7" vinyl - £175.00, $238.00, €196.00 (New Item) (arrived 23-Feb-2021 09:12)on February 25, 2021 at 11:27 am
THE BEATLES Ticket To Ride (Rare 1971 Japanese fourth issue wide centred 7" single pressed on 'Everclean' Wine Red Translucent Vinyl, the first issue on the Apple label with 'MFD. BY TOSHIBA MUSICAL INDUSTRIES LTD. JAPAN' text, also including Yes It Is; unique wraparound picture insert with the Apple logo instead of Odeon and with the '¥ 400' price point below, printed with lyrics inside. The insert displays minimal wear and the vinyl looks barely played AR-1261)
- The Beatles - Anna EP - Japanese - 7" vinyl - £50.00, $68.00, €56.00 (New Item) (arrived 23-Feb-2021 09:54)on February 25, 2021 at 11:27 am
THE BEATLES Anna EP (1972 Japanese fifth pressing 4-track solid centre stereo 7" vinyl EP on the light green Apple label, also including Boys, Sie Liebt Dich & You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, complete with lyric insert, flipback picture sleeve with 700 yen price. The sleeve shows minimal wear with just a small amout of foxing on the back, whilst the vinyl shows minimum signs of play AP-4118)
- The Beatles - Let It Be - 2nd - Japanese - 7" vinyl - £30.00, $40.80, €33.60 (New Item) (arrived 23-Feb-2021 09:57)on February 25, 2021 at 11:27 am
THE BEATLES Let It Be (1973 Japanese second issue of the 1970 7" vinyl single, pressed by Toshiba Musical Industries, also including You Know My Name (Look Up The Number), amended picture sleeve with the '' logo removed & '¥500' price point on the back, complete with the lyric insert AR-2461)