The deluxe box set will feature all 17 tracks which have been newly mixed by producer Giles Martin and engineer Sam Okell in stereo, hi-res stereo, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos, with the package also set to feature 23 session recordings and demos – the majority of which are previously unreleased.
It will be the first time that Abbey Road has been remixed and presented with additional session recordings and demos and follows the expanded editions of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and the White Album.
In his forward for the new package, Paul McCartney says: “The Beatles recording journey had gone through many twists and turns, learning curves and thrilling rides. Here we were – still wondering at the magic of it all.”
The box set’s 40 tracks will be spread across three CDs, while a Blu-ray will contain the Dolby Atmos, 96kHz/24 bit high resolution stereo, and 96 kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. A vinyl package will also be made available.
The package will be presented in a 12 x 12, 100-page hardback book featuring McCartney’s forward, an introduction by Martin, chapters by Beatles historian Kevin Howlett, track-by-track details and session notes, along with an essay by journalist and author David Hepworth which will look at the influence the record has had since its launch.
The book will also feature illustrations and previously unpublished photographs, including many by Linda McCartney. There will be images of handwritten lyrics, a George Martin score, recording sheets, tape boxes and reproduced print adverts from the original release.
Giles Martin explains: “The magic comes from the hands playing the instruments, the blend of The Beatles’ voices, the beauty of the arrangements.
“Our quest is simply to ensure everything sounds as fresh and hits you as hard as it would have on the day it was recorded.”
The news comes 50 years to the day since the Fab Four left London’s EMI Recording studios to march across the Abbey Road zebra crossing for that famous cover shot.
It’ll be released on September 27 through Apple Corps Ltd/Capitol/UMe.
To mark the announcement, three versions of Something have been released: The 2019 mix, a studio demo and an instrumental version which can be listened to below.
The Beatles: Abbey Road Deluxe Box Set
CD1: 2019 Stereo Mix
1. Come Together
3. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
4. Oh! Darling
5. Octopus’s Garden
6. I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
7. Here Comes The Sun
9. You Never Give Me Your Money
10. Sun King
11. Mean Mr Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. The End
17. Her Majesty
1. I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (Trident Recording Session & Reduction Mix)
2. Goodbye (Home Demo)
3. Something (Studio Demo)
4. The Ballad Of John And Yoko (Take 7)
5. Old Brown Shoe (Take 2)
6. Oh! Darling (Take 4)
7. Octopus’s Garden (Take 9)
8. You Never Give Me Your Money (Take 36)
9. Her Majesty (Takes 1–3)
10. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Takes 1–3 / Medley)
11. Here Comes The Sun (Take 9)
12. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer (Take 12)
CD 3: Sessions
1. Come Together (Take 5)
2. The End (Take 3)
3. Come And Get It (Studio Demo)
4. Sun King (Take 20)
5. Mean Mr Mustard (Take 20)
6. Polythene Pam (Take 27)
7. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Take 27)
8. Because (Take 1 – Instrumental)
9. The Long One (Trial Edit & Mix – 30 July 1969)
(Medley: You Never Give Me Your Money, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Her Majesty, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End)
10. Something (Take 39 – Instrumental – Strings Only)
11. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Take 17 – Instrumental – Strings & Brass Only)
Blu-ray: Abbey Road
96kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
96kHz/24 bit High Res Stereo (2019 Stereo Mix)
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- The Beatles - Let It Be - 1st - VG - UK - vinyl LP - £150.00, $187.50, €177.00 (New Item) (arrived 20-May-2022 16:04)on May 21, 2022 at 11:27 am
THE BEATLES Let It Be (Rare 1970 UK 12-track stereo vinyl LP, fully laminated picture sleeve. This is the first issue with the RED apple on the rear of the sleeve. The sleeve shows a little light ring and shelfwear with a small pin hole close to the top edge, but otherwise remains in wonderful condition. There is an area of sticker residue and a couple of points of paper loss due to sticker removal and the vinyl is Excellent with little sign of play PCS7096)
- The Beatles - Compact Disc E.P. Collection - UK - cd single boxset - £150.00, $187.50, €177.00 (New Item) (arrived 16-May-2022 10:37)on May 21, 2022 at 11:27 am
THE BEATLES Compact Disc E.P. Collection (1992 UK limited edition box set containing 64 tracks on 15 CD's, each in its own individual card picture sleeve replicating the original EP artwork. Includes the Magical Mystery Tour double disc [in bothMono & Stereo] with gatefold picture sleeve & booklet while the fifteenth disc is a Bonus EP originally released in 1981 featuring four previously rare true stereo mixes. All discs appear barely played and sit inside their own card wallet picture sleeve and housed a 5" x 5" x 2" gold embossed flip-top textured box! CDBEP14)
- The Beatles - Help - Portugese - vinyl LP - £50.00, $62.50, €59.00 (New Item) (arrived 11-May-2022 16:09)on May 21, 2022 at 11:27 am
THE BEATLES Help (1970's Portuguese 14-track stereo LP with black and yellow Parlophone labels, with glossy picture sleeve. The sleeve has some minor dislouration plus a little creasing whilst the vinyl shows minor signs of play, on the whole,and excellent copy)
- The Beatles - Beatles For Sale -Yugoslavian - Yugoslavian - vinyl LP - £45.00, $56.25, €53.10 (New Item) (arrived 12-May-2022 12:53)on May 21, 2022 at 11:27 am
THE BEATLES Beatles For Sale (1981 Yugoslavian issue of the 1964 14-track stereo vinyl LP on the two EMI 'boxed' logo label, glossy gatefold picture sleeve with internal pocket. The sleeve displays a little light edgewear and small annotation to top right, aside from a little spindle wear, the vinyl looks barely played PCS3062)
- The Beatles - The Beatles / 1967-1970 - 1st - VG - UK - 2-LP vinyl set - £15.00, $18.75, €17.70 (New Item) (arrived 12-May-2022 16:08)on May 21, 2022 at 11:27 am
THE BEATLES The Beatles / 1967-1970 (1973 UK 28-track double LP compilation, housed in the original front laminated gatefold picture sleeve with matching blue lyric inners. The sleeve shows some minor edge wear from storage & although the inners have the odd common split & the vinyl reveals a few faint surface scuffs, this remains a great play copy)