The deluxe box set will feature all 17 tracks which have been newly mixed by producer Giles Martin and engineer Sam Okell in stereo, hi-res stereo, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos, with the package also set to feature 23 session recordings and demos – the majority of which are previously unreleased.
It will be the first time that Abbey Road has been remixed and presented with additional session recordings and demos and follows the expanded editions of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and the White Album.
In his forward for the new package, Paul McCartney says: “The Beatles recording journey had gone through many twists and turns, learning curves and thrilling rides. Here we were – still wondering at the magic of it all.”
The box set’s 40 tracks will be spread across three CDs, while a Blu-ray will contain the Dolby Atmos, 96kHz/24 bit high resolution stereo, and 96 kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. A vinyl package will also be made available.
The package will be presented in a 12 x 12, 100-page hardback book featuring McCartney’s forward, an introduction by Martin, chapters by Beatles historian Kevin Howlett, track-by-track details and session notes, along with an essay by journalist and author David Hepworth which will look at the influence the record has had since its launch.
The book will also feature illustrations and previously unpublished photographs, including many by Linda McCartney. There will be images of handwritten lyrics, a George Martin score, recording sheets, tape boxes and reproduced print adverts from the original release.
Giles Martin explains: “The magic comes from the hands playing the instruments, the blend of The Beatles’ voices, the beauty of the arrangements.
“Our quest is simply to ensure everything sounds as fresh and hits you as hard as it would have on the day it was recorded.”
The news comes 50 years to the day since the Fab Four left London’s EMI Recording studios to march across the Abbey Road zebra crossing for that famous cover shot.
It’ll be released on September 27 through Apple Corps Ltd/Capitol/UMe.
To mark the announcement, three versions of Something have been released: The 2019 mix, a studio demo and an instrumental version which can be listened to below.
The Beatles: Abbey Road Deluxe Box Set
CD1: 2019 Stereo Mix
1. Come Together
3. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
4. Oh! Darling
5. Octopus’s Garden
6. I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
7. Here Comes The Sun
9. You Never Give Me Your Money
10. Sun King
11. Mean Mr Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. The End
17. Her Majesty
1. I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (Trident Recording Session & Reduction Mix)
2. Goodbye (Home Demo)
3. Something (Studio Demo)
4. The Ballad Of John And Yoko (Take 7)
5. Old Brown Shoe (Take 2)
6. Oh! Darling (Take 4)
7. Octopus’s Garden (Take 9)
8. You Never Give Me Your Money (Take 36)
9. Her Majesty (Takes 1–3)
10. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Takes 1–3 / Medley)
11. Here Comes The Sun (Take 9)
12. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer (Take 12)
CD 3: Sessions
1. Come Together (Take 5)
2. The End (Take 3)
3. Come And Get It (Studio Demo)
4. Sun King (Take 20)
5. Mean Mr Mustard (Take 20)
6. Polythene Pam (Take 27)
7. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Take 27)
8. Because (Take 1 – Instrumental)
9. The Long One (Trial Edit & Mix – 30 July 1969)
(Medley: You Never Give Me Your Money, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Her Majesty, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End)
10. Something (Take 39 – Instrumental – Strings Only)
11. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Take 17 – Instrumental – Strings & Brass Only)
Blu-ray: Abbey Road
96kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
96kHz/24 bit High Res Stereo (2019 Stereo Mix)
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- The Beatles - Rubber Soul - Pathé - UK - vinyl LP - £50.00, $69.00, €58.50 (New Item) (arrived 17-Sep-2021 15:11)on September 18, 2021 at 9:12 pm
THE BEATLES Rubber Soul (Mid 70s UK issue of the 1965 14-track stereo LP, on the two EMI boxed logo label with 'EMI Records' & 'Made in France' perimeter print; this is a contract pressing done by Pathé Marconi in France while the pressing plant in Hayes, UK underwent refurbishment. Comes housed in the UK printed front laminated picture sleeve. The sleeve & vinyl are Excellent with few signs of wear & play PCS3075)
- The Beatles - Help! - 180gm Vinyl - UK - vinyl LP - £20.00, $27.60, €23.40 (New Item) (arrived 15-Sep-2021 13:25)on September 18, 2021 at 9:12 pm
THE BEATLES Help! (2012 UK/EU limited edition remastered issue of their 1965 14-track stereo LP pressed on 180gram Heavyweight Vinyl with labels replicating the original design, including the classics Ticket To Ride and the title track. The glossy picture sleeve shows a little shelfwear creasing to the bottom left corner but the vinyl looks barely played)
- The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour - 180gm Vinyl - UK - vinyl LP - £20.00, $27.60, €23.40 (New Item) (arrived 15-Sep-2021 08:14)on September 18, 2021 at 9:12 pm
THE BEATLES Magical Mystery Tour (2012 UK/EU limited edition remastered audiophile issue of their 1967 11-track double EP release pressed on 180gram Heavyweight Vinyl, including the classic hits I Am The Walrus, Hello Goodbye, Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane and All You Need Is Love. Complete with selected lyrics printed on the inside and the 12" edition of the original booklet, the glossy gatefold picture sleeve shows only light edgewear and the vinyl looks barely played)
- The Beatles - Beatles For Sale - 180gm Vinyl - UK - vinyl LP - £20.00, $27.60, €23.40 (New Item) (arrived 15-Sep-2021 08:21)on September 18, 2021 at 9:12 pm
THE BEATLES Beatles For Sale (2012 UK/EU limited edition remastered issue of their 1964 14-track stereo LP pressed on 180gram Heavyweight Vinyl with labels replicating the original design, including the classic hit Eight Days A Week. The glossy gatefold picture sleeve shows only minor wear and the vinyl looks barely played)
- The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper - 180gm Vinyl - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £20.00, $27.60, €23.40 (New Item) (arrived 15-Sep-2021 08:33)on September 18, 2021 at 9:12 pm
THE BEATLES Sgt. Pepper (2012 UK/EU limited edition remastered audiophile issue of their 1967 LP pressed on 180gram Heavyweight Vinyl with labels replicating the original design, including the classic hits With A Little Help From My Friends, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, She's Leaving Home, When I'm Sixty-Four, the title track and more. Housed in a glossy gatefold picture sleeve reproducing the original album artwork with replica cutouts and a fold-out card illustrated narrative insert. The sleeve has some light wear to the opening edge and a few minor storage marks on the reverse; despite a few cosmetic scuffs, the vinyl looks barely played)