The deluxe box set will feature all 17 tracks which have been newly mixed by producer Giles Martin and engineer Sam Okell in stereo, hi-res stereo, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos, with the package also set to feature 23 session recordings and demos – the majority of which are previously unreleased.
It will be the first time that Abbey Road has been remixed and presented with additional session recordings and demos and follows the expanded editions of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and the White Album.
In his forward for the new package, Paul McCartney says: “The Beatles recording journey had gone through many twists and turns, learning curves and thrilling rides. Here we were – still wondering at the magic of it all.”
The box set’s 40 tracks will be spread across three CDs, while a Blu-ray will contain the Dolby Atmos, 96kHz/24 bit high resolution stereo, and 96 kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. A vinyl package will also be made available.
The package will be presented in a 12 x 12, 100-page hardback book featuring McCartney’s forward, an introduction by Martin, chapters by Beatles historian Kevin Howlett, track-by-track details and session notes, along with an essay by journalist and author David Hepworth which will look at the influence the record has had since its launch.
The book will also feature illustrations and previously unpublished photographs, including many by Linda McCartney. There will be images of handwritten lyrics, a George Martin score, recording sheets, tape boxes and reproduced print adverts from the original release.
Giles Martin explains: “The magic comes from the hands playing the instruments, the blend of The Beatles’ voices, the beauty of the arrangements.
“Our quest is simply to ensure everything sounds as fresh and hits you as hard as it would have on the day it was recorded.”
The news comes 50 years to the day since the Fab Four left London’s EMI Recording studios to march across the Abbey Road zebra crossing for that famous cover shot.
It’ll be released on September 27 through Apple Corps Ltd/Capitol/UMe.
To mark the announcement, three versions of Something have been released: The 2019 mix, a studio demo and an instrumental version which can be listened to below.
The Beatles: Abbey Road Deluxe Box Set
CD1: 2019 Stereo Mix
1. Come Together
3. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
4. Oh! Darling
5. Octopus’s Garden
6. I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
7. Here Comes The Sun
9. You Never Give Me Your Money
10. Sun King
11. Mean Mr Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. The End
17. Her Majesty
1. I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (Trident Recording Session & Reduction Mix)
2. Goodbye (Home Demo)
3. Something (Studio Demo)
4. The Ballad Of John And Yoko (Take 7)
5. Old Brown Shoe (Take 2)
6. Oh! Darling (Take 4)
7. Octopus’s Garden (Take 9)
8. You Never Give Me Your Money (Take 36)
9. Her Majesty (Takes 1–3)
10. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Takes 1–3 / Medley)
11. Here Comes The Sun (Take 9)
12. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer (Take 12)
CD 3: Sessions
1. Come Together (Take 5)
2. The End (Take 3)
3. Come And Get It (Studio Demo)
4. Sun King (Take 20)
5. Mean Mr Mustard (Take 20)
6. Polythene Pam (Take 27)
7. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Take 27)
8. Because (Take 1 – Instrumental)
9. The Long One (Trial Edit & Mix – 30 July 1969)
(Medley: You Never Give Me Your Money, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Her Majesty, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End)
10. Something (Take 39 – Instrumental – Strings Only)
11. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Take 17 – Instrumental – Strings & Brass Only)
Blu-ray: Abbey Road
96kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
96kHz/24 bit High Res Stereo (2019 Stereo Mix)
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- The Beatles - Rubber Soul - 2 Box - EMI - Glossy - UK - vinyl LP - £30.00, $37.50, €33.60 (New Item) (arrived 30-Oct-2020 17:02)on October 30, 2020 at 8:14 pm
THE BEATLES Rubber (1979 UK 14-track stereo LP issue of the 1965 album on the two EMI Box Parlophone label with 'EMI Records Ltd' perimeter text, glossy picture sleeve. The sleeve and the vinyl are in 'near as new' condition PCS3075)
- The Beatles - Timeless - Stickered - US - picture disc LP - £30.00, $37.50, €33.60 (New Item) (arrived 29-Oct-2020 09:07)on October 30, 2020 at 8:14 pm
THE BEATLES Timeless (Limited 1981 US 9-track Picture Disc LP, featuring rare interviews with the group including press conferences from The Astor Tower Hotel, Chicago on August 12, 1966 & The Empire Stadium In Vancouver on August 26, 1964, with unique colour photo shots either side & tracklist stickered pvc sleeve. The disc is 'as new')
- The Beatles - Yellow Submarine - Red + 82 Obi - Japanese - vinyl LP - £150.00, $187.50, €168.00 (New Item) (arrived 29-Oct-2020 08:53)on October 30, 2020 at 8:14 pm
THE BEATLES Yellow Submarine (Hard to find 1982 Japanese 12-track 'Original Mono Record' issue LP pressed on Translucent Red Vinyl, picture sleeve with Japanese/lyric insert & rare narrow obi-strip. These were originally limited to 10,000 copies but quickly disappeared into collections & now rarely surface for sale. The packaging displays minimal wear & the vinyl appears near 'as new' EAS-70138)
- The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night - Red Vinyl + Black 82 Obi - Japanese - vinyl LP - £125.00, $156.25, €140.00 (New Item) (arrived 29-Oct-2020 08:55)on October 30, 2020 at 8:14 pm
THE BEATLES A Hard Day's Night (Rare 1982 Japanese 'Original Mono Record' issue of the 1964 13-track LP pressed on Translucent Red Vinyl, picture sleeve with Japanese/lyric insert & rare narrow black obi-strip. These were originally limited to 10,000 copies but quickly disappeared into collections & now rarely surface for sale. The shows minimal wear & the vinyl is near 'as new' EAS-70132)
- The Beatles - The Beatles Ballads - Japanese - vinyl LP - £40.00, $50.00, €44.80 (New Item) (arrived 29-Oct-2020 08:56)on October 30, 2020 at 8:14 pm
THE BEATLES The Beatles Ballads (1980 Japanese 20-track LP compilation, complete with fold-out illustrated biography/ lyric insert & obi-strip. The sleeve shows minimal wear and the vinyl is Near Mint - a superb copy EAS-91006)