The deluxe box set will feature all 17 tracks which have been newly mixed by producer Giles Martin and engineer Sam Okell in stereo, hi-res stereo, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos, with the package also set to feature 23 session recordings and demos – the majority of which are previously unreleased.
It will be the first time that Abbey Road has been remixed and presented with additional session recordings and demos and follows the expanded editions of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and the White Album.
In his forward for the new package, Paul McCartney says: “The Beatles recording journey had gone through many twists and turns, learning curves and thrilling rides. Here we were – still wondering at the magic of it all.”
The box set’s 40 tracks will be spread across three CDs, while a Blu-ray will contain the Dolby Atmos, 96kHz/24 bit high resolution stereo, and 96 kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. A vinyl package will also be made available.
The package will be presented in a 12 x 12, 100-page hardback book featuring McCartney’s forward, an introduction by Martin, chapters by Beatles historian Kevin Howlett, track-by-track details and session notes, along with an essay by journalist and author David Hepworth which will look at the influence the record has had since its launch.
The book will also feature illustrations and previously unpublished photographs, including many by Linda McCartney. There will be images of handwritten lyrics, a George Martin score, recording sheets, tape boxes and reproduced print adverts from the original release.
Giles Martin explains: “The magic comes from the hands playing the instruments, the blend of The Beatles’ voices, the beauty of the arrangements.
“Our quest is simply to ensure everything sounds as fresh and hits you as hard as it would have on the day it was recorded.”
The news comes 50 years to the day since the Fab Four left London’s EMI Recording studios to march across the Abbey Road zebra crossing for that famous cover shot.
It’ll be released on September 27 through Apple Corps Ltd/Capitol/UMe.
To mark the announcement, three versions of Something have been released: The 2019 mix, a studio demo and an instrumental version which can be listened to below.
The Beatles: Abbey Road Deluxe Box Set
CD1: 2019 Stereo Mix
1. Come Together
3. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
4. Oh! Darling
5. Octopus’s Garden
6. I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
7. Here Comes The Sun
9. You Never Give Me Your Money
10. Sun King
11. Mean Mr Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. The End
17. Her Majesty
1. I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (Trident Recording Session & Reduction Mix)
2. Goodbye (Home Demo)
3. Something (Studio Demo)
4. The Ballad Of John And Yoko (Take 7)
5. Old Brown Shoe (Take 2)
6. Oh! Darling (Take 4)
7. Octopus’s Garden (Take 9)
8. You Never Give Me Your Money (Take 36)
9. Her Majesty (Takes 1–3)
10. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Takes 1–3 / Medley)
11. Here Comes The Sun (Take 9)
12. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer (Take 12)
CD 3: Sessions
1. Come Together (Take 5)
2. The End (Take 3)
3. Come And Get It (Studio Demo)
4. Sun King (Take 20)
5. Mean Mr Mustard (Take 20)
6. Polythene Pam (Take 27)
7. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Take 27)
8. Because (Take 1 – Instrumental)
9. The Long One (Trial Edit & Mix – 30 July 1969)
(Medley: You Never Give Me Your Money, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Her Majesty, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End)
10. Something (Take 39 – Instrumental – Strings Only)
11. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Take 17 – Instrumental – Strings & Brass Only)
Blu-ray: Abbey Road
96kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
96kHz/24 bit High Res Stereo (2019 Stereo Mix)
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- The Beatles - From Me To You - 1976 - UK - 7" vinyl - £10.00, $14.10, €11.60 (New Item) (arrived 14-May-2021 15:38)on May 16, 2021 at 2:17 pm
THE BEATLES From Me To You (1976 UK issue of the 1963 7" vinyl single, also including Thank You Girl, issued as part of 'The Singles Collection 1962-1970', title sleeve with period colour band shot on the rear. The sleeve shows a little shelfwearwhilst the vinyl appears barely played R5015)
- The Beatles - Please Please Me - 2 Box - EMI - UK - vinyl LP - £35.00, $49.35, €40.60 (New Item) (arrived 13-May-2021 13:07)on May 16, 2021 at 2:17 pm
THE BEATLES Please Please Me (Circa 1978 UK stereo issue of the debut 1963 14-track LP, on the two EMI boxed logo label with 'EMI Records Ltd' perimeter text, front laminated picture sleeve. The sleeve shows minimal wear & the vinyl appears barely played PCS3042)
- The Beatles - Love Me Do - 1st - G - MIGB - UK - 7" vinyl - £75.00, $105.75, €87.00 (New Item) (arrived 07-May-2021 12:00)on May 16, 2021 at 2:17 pm
THE BEATLES Love Me Do (1962 UK red label 7" vinyl single with four prong centre, also including P.S. I Love You, with 'Made in Great Britain' credit on the label. This first pressing has the '1N' matrix suffix & the ZT tax code is stamped in the run-out, indicating that Ringo plays drums &no tambourine version, Parlophone company die-cut paper sleeve. The label has a past owners name written but has no tears. The vinyl on this copy has a fairly heavily scuffed & scratched surface, however we have play tested & can confirm that it plays well with a moderate crackle & the odd few clicks & without skips or jumps. With Mint examples being very rare & fetching well into three figures, this is a more than acceptable copy at an advantageous price 45-R4949)
- The Beatles - Please Please Me - 5th EJD - VG - UK - vinyl LP - £125.00, $176.25, €145.00 (New Item) (arrived 07-May-2021 16:09)on May 16, 2021 at 2:17 pm
THE BEATLES Please Please Me (1963 UK fifth press 14-track MONO vinyl LP with 'The Parlophone Co' label perimeter text & 'Recording First Published' credit, but without 'Sold In UK', front laminated Ernest J. Day flipback picture sleeve with polylined 'Emitex' inner PMC1202) ** See 'More Info' for further details on condition ...
- The Beatles - Beatles For Sale - 1st - VG - UK - vinyl LP - £75.00, $105.75, €87.00 (New Item) (arrived 10-May-2021 11:34)on May 16, 2021 at 2:17 pm
THE BEATLES Beatles For Sale (1964 UK first press 14-track mono vinyl LP with 'Sold in U.K', 'Recording First Published' & 'The Parlophone Co' label text, complete with Emitex inner, front laminated internal flipback gatefold picture sleeve withoutline 'mono' printed on front PMC1240) See 'more info' for further details ...