Ritchie Blackmore‘s Rainbow have released a new version of their 1975 track Black Sheep Of The Family. The track, which originally appeared on the band’s self-titled debit album and was sung by Ronnie James Dio – has been re-recorded with current Rainbow singer Ronnie Romero.
Black Sheep Of The Family was originally recorded by British progressive rock trio Quatermass in 1970, and was the first song the original Rainbow line-up ever recorded together.
“It started with that song,” Ritchie Blackmore told Classic Rock‘s Geoff Barton in 1975. “I wanted to do the number with Purple, so I said to them: ‘Hey, look, this is a great song, let’s do it on an album.’
“But they weren’t too keen because it wasn’t an original track; it hadn’t been written by one of the band. But I really wanted to get it put down in one way or another, so I went into the studio with some session people and asked Ronnie to sing.”
Black Sheep Of The Family is the first recording to emerge from the current Rainbow line-up since the single Waiting For A Sign was released in March 2018.
The previous year, the band released their first new recordings in over two decades: a re-working of the band’s 1981 hit I Surrender – originally sung by Joe Lynn Turner – and a cover of Edward Elgar’s Land Of Hope And Glory.
Joining Blackmore and Romero in the current lineup of Rainbow are Stratovarius keyboard player Jens Johansson, Blackmore’s Night drummer David Keith and bassist Bob Nouveau, and singers Lady Lynn and Candice Night.
Explore eil.com… the world’s best online store for rare, collectable and out of print Vinyl Records, CDs & Music memorabilia since 1987.
- Rainbow - The Best Of Rainbow - UK - 2-LP vinyl set - £25.00, $34.50, €29.50 (New Item) (arrived 14-Oct-2021 09:52)
RAINBOW The Best Of Rainbow (1981 UK 16-track double compilation LP, including Man On The Silver Mountain & Since You've Been Gone, gatefold picture sleeve. The sleeve shows minimal shelfwear & the vinyl remains near 'as new' with little signof play PODV2)
- Rainbow - Difficult To Cure + Merchandise Insert - UK - vinyl LP - £25.00, $34.50, €29.50 (New Item) (arrived 12-Aug-2021 12:30)
RAINBOW Difficult To Cure (1981 UK 10-track LP, including the classic hit I Surrender, complete with illustrated lyric inner & scarce 'First Time In The UK' colour merchandise insert, picture sleeve. The sleeve shows just a little edge scuffing & crease to the opening, whilst the vinyl remains in excellent condition with few signs of play POLD5036)
- Rainbow - Can't Happen Here - P/S - UK - 7" vinyl - £8.00, $11.04, €9.44 (New Item) (arrived 06-Jul-2021 10:34)
RAINBOW Can't Happen Here (1981 UK 7" single, also including Jealous Lover, taken from the album 'Difficult To Cure', glossy picture sleeve POSP251)
- Rainbow - Live EP - UK - 7" vinyl - £10.00, $13.80, €11.80 (New Item) (arrived 06-Jul-2021 15:34)
RAINBOW Live EP (1977 3-track injection moulded 7" vinyl EP including Kill The King, Man On The Silver Mountain & Mistreated, Polydor company die-cut paper sleeve)
- Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'N' Roll - 1st - A1/B1 - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £35.00, $48.30, €41.30 (New Item) (arrived 08-Jul-2021 07:50)
RAINBOW Long Live Rock 'N' Roll (1978 UK first issue 8-track LP with A1/B1 matrices, complete with lyric insert, textured gatefold picture sleeve. The sleeve is Excellent with some minor corner & edge wear, plus some fading along the spine, while the first press vinyl appears Near Mint POLD5002)
- Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow - Limited Special Price Issue Sticker - UK - vinyl LP - £20.00, $27.60, €23.60 (New Item) (arrived 26-Jul-2021 12:55)
RAINBOW Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (Circa 1978 UK issue 9-track vinyl LP, the debut 1975 album from Blackmore's first post-Deep Purple project, essentially comprising himself and the band Elf, with the legendary Ronnie James Dio on vocals, gatefold picture sleeve with 'Limited Edition Special Price' sticker on the back. The sleeve displays minimal wear and the vinyl looks barely played)
- Rainbow - Black Masquerade - RSD - Red Vinyl - Sealed - UK - vinyl box set - £125.00, $172.50, €147.50 (New Item) (arrived 04-Aug-2021 10:28)
RAINBOW Black Masquerade (2014 UK Record Store Day exclusive limited edition 18-track 3-LP set pressed on 140 Gram Red Vinyl. Recorded live for German TV on 'Rockpalast', on the 9th October 1995 at Philipshalle Düsseldorf in Germany, the audio restoration and mastering was by Mazen Murad at Metropolis. Within a harback book sleeve with intergral booklet, and housed in a 12" sqaure picture box, which remains factory sealed from new RCV142LP)
- Rainbow - Street Of Dreams - Japanese - 7" vinyl - £25.00, $34.50, €29.50 (New Item) (arrived 09-Aug-2021 09:09)
RAINBOW Street Of Dreams (Scarce 1983 Japanese wide centred 7" single, also featuring Anybody There, housed in a company sleeve complete with a unique picture/lyric insert 7DM0090)
- Rainbow - Denver 1979 Down To Earth Tour - Red Vinyl - Sealed - US - 2-LP vinyl set - £39.99, $55.19, €47.19 (New Item) (arrived 09-Aug-2021 13:21)
RAINBOW Denver 1979 Down To Earth Tour (2015 US limited edition 7-track 2-LP set pressed on Orange Vinyl. Featuring a previously unreleased live concert recorded at the Rainbow Room Music Hall Denver, Colorado on the 16th November 1979. Housed in a metalic gatefold picture sleeve, which remains factory sealed in the original hype-stickered shrink CLP-2174-1)***Limited to only 1000 copies***
- Rainbow - Since You Been Gone + Sleeve - UK - 7" vinyl - £7.99, $11.03, €9.43 (New Item) (arrived 23-Sep-2021 12:49)
RAINBOW Since You Been Gone (1979 UK injection moulded 7" vinyl single, also including Bad Girls. The card picture sleeve has a little shelfwear to the opening edge, whilst the vinyl remains in excellent condition POSP70)