Ritchie Blackmore‘s Rainbow have released a new version of their 1975 track Black Sheep Of The Family. The track, which originally appeared on the band’s self-titled debit album and was sung by Ronnie James Dio – has been re-recorded with current Rainbow singer Ronnie Romero.
Black Sheep Of The Family was originally recorded by British progressive rock trio Quatermass in 1970, and was the first song the original Rainbow line-up ever recorded together.
“It started with that song,” Ritchie Blackmore told Classic Rock‘s Geoff Barton in 1975. “I wanted to do the number with Purple, so I said to them: ‘Hey, look, this is a great song, let’s do it on an album.’
“But they weren’t too keen because it wasn’t an original track; it hadn’t been written by one of the band. But I really wanted to get it put down in one way or another, so I went into the studio with some session people and asked Ronnie to sing.”
Black Sheep Of The Family is the first recording to emerge from the current Rainbow line-up since the single Waiting For A Sign was released in March 2018.
The previous year, the band released their first new recordings in over two decades: a re-working of the band’s 1981 hit I Surrender – originally sung by Joe Lynn Turner – and a cover of Edward Elgar’s Land Of Hope And Glory.
Joining Blackmore and Romero in the current lineup of Rainbow are Stratovarius keyboard player Jens Johansson, Blackmore’s Night drummer David Keith and bassist Bob Nouveau, and singers Lady Lynn and Candice Night.
Explore eil.com… the world’s best online store for rare, collectable and out of print Vinyl Records, CDs & Music memorabilia since 1987.
- Rainbow - The Best Of - Japanese - 2-LP vinyl set - £50.00, $62.50, €56.00 (New Item) (arrived 17-Sep-2020 10:42)
RAINBOW The Best Of Rainbow (1981 Japanese-only 15-track double LP compilation, featuring the hits Starstruck, All Night Long & the classic Since You Been Gone, unique gatefold picture sleeve complete with Japanese/lyric insert & obi-strip MPZ8139/40)
- Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'N' Roll - Japanese - vinyl LP - £35.00, $43.75, €39.20 (New Item) (arrived 05-Aug-2020 11:14)
RAINBOW Long Live Rock 'N' Roll (1978 Japanese 8-track vinyl LP, housed in a deluxe gatefold picture sleeve with fold-out lyric insert & obi-strip. The sleeve displays just a little light wear whilst the vinyl looks barely played MPF1156)
- Rainbow - I Surrender + p/s - French - 7" vinyl - £8.00, $10.00, €8.96 (New Item) (arrived 08-May-2020 12:36)
RAINBOW I Surrender (1981 French injection moulded wide centred 7" vinyl single, also including Vielleicht Das Nachster Zeit (Maybe Next Time), picture sleeve)
- Rainbow - Can't Let You Go - UK - shaped picture disc - £30.00, $37.50, €33.60 (New Item) (arrived 11-May-2020 14:07)
RAINBOW Can't Let You Go (1983 UK limited edition 7" Picture Disc single, featuring an image of an iconic Fender Stratocaster guitar cut to shape. Also includes a live version of All Night Long recorded at St. David's Hall, Cardiff in September '83. The disc remains in Excellent condition with a clear surround POSPP654)
- Rainbow - All Night Long - UK - 7" vinyl - £7.99, $9.99, €8.95 (New Item) (arrived 18-May-2020 15:52)
RAINBOW All Night Long (1980 UK injection moulded 7" vinyl single, also including Weiss Heim, Polydor company die cut paper sleeve POSP104)
- Rainbow - Can't Let You Go - UK - 12" vinyl - £10.00, $12.50, €11.20 (New Item) (arrived 20-May-2020 10:25)
RAINBOW Can't Let You Go (1983 UK 3-track 12" single, also including live versions of All Night Long & Stranded recorded at St. David's Hall, Cardiff in September that year. The picture sleeve & vinyl remain in Excellent condition with only minorsigns of wear or play POSPX654)
- Rainbow - Rainbow Rising - Limited Special Price Issue - UK - vinyl LP - £18.00, $22.50, €20.16 (New Item) (arrived 28-May-2020 15:07)
RAINBOW Rainbow Rising (1978 UK Limited Edition Special Price issue of the 1976 6-track LP with gold stamped gatefold picture sleeve with classic Ken Kelly painting. This was the second album from the band with only Blackmore and Dio remainingfrom the previous album line-up. The sleeve shows only light signs of storage and the vinyllooks barely played)
- Rainbow - Straight Between The Eyes - stickered p/s - UK - vinyl LP - £15.00, $18.75, €16.80 (New Item) (arrived 04-Jun-2020 11:56)
RAINBOW Straight Between The Eyes (1982 UK 'eyeball' picture label 9-track LP, including the hit single Stone Cold, picture sleeve with the hype sticker on the reverse and the original illustrated lyric inner. The sleeve shows minimal wear & the vinyl looks barely played POLD5056)
- Rainbow - On Stage - Japanese - 2-LP vinyl set - £20.00, $25.00, €22.40 (New Item) (arrived 30-Jul-2020 14:01)
RAINBOW On Stage (1977 Japanese 7-track double LP featuring a collection of live tracks recorded on German & Japanese dates in late '76 during their Rising world tour; housed in a deluxe & heavy duty gatefold picture sleeve with a four-page picture insert. The sleeve remains in Excellent condition with nice, clean panels & little minor corner scuffing, whilst the vinyl is Very Good with a few minor surface scuffs making it an ideal play MWZ8103/4)
- Rainbow - All Night Long - Japanese - 7" vinyl - £35.00, $43.75, €39.20 (New Item) (arrived 13-Aug-2020 15:59)
RAINBOW All Night Long (1980 Japanese wide centred injection moulded 7" vinyl single, also including Weiss Heim, with a unique picture insert printed with lyrics on the reverse. The insert shows merely light corner creases, whilst the vinyl looks barely played DPQ6182)