Former Kraftwerk member Karl Bartos, often known as as the robot second from left alongside Ralf Hütter, Wolfgang Flür and Florian Schneider, is to publish his memoirs, The Sound of the Machine: My Life In Kraftwerk And Beyond, through Omnibus Press on July 21.
“In The Sound of the Machine I try to describe the secrets of our writing sessions, how we played like children and how our mutual search for new artistic expression made us happy,” Bartos, a member of the pioneering German band from 1974-1990, says. “I reveal why our music – created in the analogue world – has survived its digital substitute. As I see it, in our best moments the compositions are a testament to our search for the poetry concealed in the sound of the machine.”
Bartos describes his journey as a boy from a working class district of Düsseldorf and the various musical influences that helped shape him, including the folk music of Bavaria, 1960s pop, and the timeless clarity of classical music.
The musician and composer also recalls the profound influence being given a copy of The Beatles A Hard Day’s Night in 1964 had on him as a 12 year old boy as well as discussing the influence and impact of Düsseldorf‘s unique atmosphere from 1974 to 1984 on Kraftwerk.
Explore eil.com & 991.com sister – the world’s best online store for rare, collectable & out of print Vinyl Records, CDs & Music memorabilia since 1987.
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express - 1st - Sample - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £50.00, $62.50, €59.00 (New Item) (arrived 17-May-2022 13:44)on May 23, 2022 at 11:11 am
KRAFTWERK Trans-Europe Express (Rare 1977 UK first press peach label 7-track LP with Factory Sample sticker on the side one label, picture sleeve with illustrated card inner. The cover shows some light ringwear, edgewear and a few storage marks, whilst the vinyl looks barely played E-ST11603)
- Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express - 2nd - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £25.00, $31.25, €29.50 (New Item) (arrived 13-Mar-2022 10:20)on May 23, 2022 at 11:11 am
KRAFTWERK Trans-Europe Express (Circa 1978 UK purple label 7-track LP, complete with the illustrated credits inner. The picture sleeve shows some light age wear scuffing & the vinyl is clean & in Excellent condition with minimal play E-ST11603)
- Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine - Sealed - US - vinyl LP - £50.00, $62.50, €59.00 (Back In Stock) (arrived 29-Jan-2022 09:59)on May 23, 2022 at 11:11 am
KRAFTWERK The Man-Machine (1993 US issue of the 1978 6-track LP, picture sleeve. This copy has been factory sealed from new & is therefore mint & unplayed! S11-56854)
- Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express - Sealed - US - vinyl LP - £60.00, $75.00, €70.80 (New Item) (arrived 03-Feb-2022 14:08)on May 23, 2022 at 11:11 am
KRAFTWERK Trans-Europe Express (1993 US issue of the 1977 7-track vinyl LP on the pink & silver Capitol label, including the singles Showroom Dummies and the title track. This copy is factory sealed and in unplayed, mint condition! S11-56853)
- Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine + Inner - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £45.00, $56.25, €53.10 (New Item) (arrived 09-Feb-2022 14:38)on May 23, 2022 at 11:11 am
KRAFTWERK The Man-Machine (Classic 1978 UK 6-track vinyl LP, their seventh studio album including the singles The Model & The Robots. Complete with the original round cornered card photo inner which has a seam split to the bottom edge, the glossy picture sleeve shows a little shelfwear to the edges / corners but the vinyl remains in EX condition with only light signs of play E-ST11728)