Star Trek legend William Shatner has had an unlikely parallel career as a musician ever since releasing his psychedelic spoken word classic The Transformed Man back in 1968.
In recent years he’s ramped up the activity, releasing the Prog-friendly Seeking Major Tom and 2017’s Ponder The Mystery, and the following year he put out a Christmas album starring everyone from Iggy Pop to Todd Rundgren, Billy Gibbons, Ian Anderson, Rick Wakeman and Brad Paisley.
Now he has the blues.
The Blues – yes, it’s that literal – will be released on October 2, and features a plethora of stellar guests, including former Deep Purple and Rainbow legend Ritchie Blackmore and wife Candice Knight, who join the party for a cover of the Roy Hawkins and Rick Darnell song The Thrill Is Gone, famously a hit for BB King in 1970.
It’s what you’d expect: Blackmore tosses around some typically tasty licks, while Shatner recites the lyrics in the manner of a beat poet holding court in a late-night jazz bar.
Elsewhere on the album, Tyler Bryant can be found contributing to a cover of Born Under A Bad Sign, Pat Travers joins in on I Put A Spell On You, and Albert Lee appears on a cover of The Dirty South’s In Hell I’ll Be Good Company. Full tracklist bellow.
William Shatner – The Blues tracklist
1. Sweet Home Chicago feat. Brad Paisley
2. I Can’t Quit You Baby feat. Kirk Fletcher
3. Sunshine of Your Love feat. Sonny Landreth
4. The Thrill Is Gone feat. Ritchie Blackmore
5. Mannish Boy feat. Ronnie Earl
6. Born Under a Bad Sign feat. Tyler Bryant
7. I Put A Spell on You feat. Pat Travers
8. Crossroads feat. James Burton
9. Smokestack Lightnin’ feat. Jeff “Skunk” Baxter
10. As the Years Go Passing By feat. Arthur Adams
11. Let’s Work Together feat. Harvey Mandel & Canned Heat
12. Route 66 feat. Steve Cropper
13. In Hell I’ll Be in Good Company feat. Albert Lee
14. Secrets Or Sins
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Rainbow - L.A. Connection - Red Injection labels - UK - 7" vinyl - £6.99, $9.51, €7.83 (New Item) (arrived 12-Apr-2021 09:07)on April 15, 2021 at 1:09 pm
RAINBOW L.A. Connection (1978 UK red injection moulded 7" vinyl single, also including Lady Of The Lake, glossy picture sleeve POSP275)
- Deep Purple - Deep Purple - 3rd - UK - vinyl LP - £35.00, $47.60, €39.20 (New Item) (arrived 05-Apr-2021 16:21)on April 15, 2021 at 1:09 pm
DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple (1978 UK issue of the 1969 7-track vinyl LP, with 'EMI Records' label perimeter label text, front laminated gatefold picture sleeve. The sleeve shows just a little light shelfwear & the vinyl remains near 'as new' & looksseldom played SHVL759)
- Deep Purple - Shades Of Deep Purple - UK - vinyl LP - £15.00, $20.40, €16.80 (New Item) (arrived 24-Mar-2021 15:44)on April 15, 2021 at 1:09 pm
DEEP PURPLE Shades Of Deep Purple (1977 UK issue of the 1968 8-track LP featuring Rod Evans as singer & Nic Simper on bass, with songs including the funky Mandrake Root, Hey Joe & a frantic take on Joe South's Hush, laminated picture sleeve. The sleeve shows just a few minor paper marks & the vinyl is Excellent with very little play)
- Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band - 1st + Inner - UK - vinyl LP - £75.00, $102.00, €84.00 (Back In Stock) (arrived 25-Mar-2021 08:51)on April 15, 2021 at 1:09 pm
DEEP PURPLE Come Taste The Band (1975 UK first issue 9-track vinyl LP, the tenth studio album by the English rockers & the only one to feature Tommy Bolin who replaced Ritchie Blackmore on guitar, complete with illustrated lyric inner, fully laminated gatefold picture sleeve. The sleeve has one faint sticker mark on the reverse and vinyl is in Near Mint condition TPSA7515)
- Rainbow - Since You Been Gone + Sleeve - UK - 7" vinyl - £7.99, $10.87, €8.95 (Back In Stock) (arrived 25-Mar-2021 14:30)on April 15, 2021 at 1:09 pm
RAINBOW Since You Been Gone (1979 UK injection moulded 7" vinyl single, also including Bad Girls. The card picture sleeve has a little shelfwear to the opening edge, whilst the vinyl remains in excellent condition POSP70)