Star Trek legend William Shatner has had an unlikely parallel career as a musician ever since releasing his psychedelic spoken word classic The Transformed Man back in 1968.
In recent years he’s ramped up the activity, releasing the Prog-friendly Seeking Major Tom and 2017’s Ponder The Mystery, and the following year he put out a Christmas album starring everyone from Iggy Pop to Todd Rundgren, Billy Gibbons, Ian Anderson, Rick Wakeman and Brad Paisley.
Now he has the blues.
The Blues – yes, it’s that literal – will be released on October 2, and features a plethora of stellar guests, including former Deep Purple and Rainbow legend Ritchie Blackmore and wife Candice Knight, who join the party for a cover of the Roy Hawkins and Rick Darnell song The Thrill Is Gone, famously a hit for BB King in 1970.
It’s what you’d expect: Blackmore tosses around some typically tasty licks, while Shatner recites the lyrics in the manner of a beat poet holding court in a late-night jazz bar.
Elsewhere on the album, Tyler Bryant can be found contributing to a cover of Born Under A Bad Sign, Pat Travers joins in on I Put A Spell On You, and Albert Lee appears on a cover of The Dirty South’s In Hell I’ll Be Good Company. Full tracklist bellow.
William Shatner – The Blues tracklist
1. Sweet Home Chicago feat. Brad Paisley
2. I Can’t Quit You Baby feat. Kirk Fletcher
3. Sunshine of Your Love feat. Sonny Landreth
4. The Thrill Is Gone feat. Ritchie Blackmore
5. Mannish Boy feat. Ronnie Earl
6. Born Under a Bad Sign feat. Tyler Bryant
7. I Put A Spell on You feat. Pat Travers
8. Crossroads feat. James Burton
9. Smokestack Lightnin’ feat. Jeff “Skunk” Baxter
10. As the Years Go Passing By feat. Arthur Adams
11. Let’s Work Together feat. Harvey Mandel & Canned Heat
12. Route 66 feat. Steve Cropper
13. In Hell I’ll Be in Good Company feat. Albert Lee
14. Secrets Or Sins
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Rainbow - Rainbow Rising - ACB - UK - vinyl LP - £25.00, $34.50, €29.25 (New Item) (arrived 23-Jul-2021 15:39)on July 24, 2021 at 10:51 pm
RAINBOW Rainbow Rising (1976 UK Audio Club of Britain issue 6-track vinyl LP, the second album from the band with only Blackmore and Dio remaining from the previous album line-up, gatefold picture sleeve with classic Ken Kelly painting. The sleeve shows some minor wear mostly on the edges and the vinyl is excellent ACBR262)
- Rainbow - Down To Earth - Black Vinyl - UK - vinyl LP - £15.00, $20.70, €17.55 (New Item) (arrived 08-Jul-2021 07:36)on July 24, 2021 at 10:51 pm
RAINBOW Down To Earth (1979 UK 8-track LP pressed on regular black vinyl with picture label, including the classic hit Since You Been Gone, picture sleeve with illustrated inner and back catalogue insert. The cover has some light edge scuffing, whilst the vinyl appears barely played - overall an excellent copy POLD5023)
- Deep Purple - Stormbringer - UK - vinyl LP - £95.00, $131.10, €111.15 (New Item) (arrived 30-Jun-2021 13:11)on July 24, 2021 at 10:51 pm
DEEP PURPLE Stormbringer (1974 UK first issue 9-track LP with 'EMI' perimeter label text, Garrod & Lofthouse picture sleeve with lyrics on the reverse. The sleeve shows minimal shelfwear & the vinyl remains near 'as new' with few signs of play TPS3508)
- Deep Purple - Machine Head - UK - super audio CD - £40.00, $55.20, €46.80 (New Item) (arrived 02-Jul-2021 17:03)on July 24, 2021 at 10:51 pm
DEEP PURPLE Machine Head (2003 UK 17-track SACD [playable on all CD players] including the original 'quad mixes' and three bonus tracks recorded in 5.1 surround sound. Picture sleeve booklet in a stickered jewel case. The case on this example hasa crack on the front otherwise remains really nice)
- Rainbow - Long Live Rock N Roll + Sleeve - EX - UK - 7" vinyl - £8.99, $12.41, €10.52 (New Item) (arrived 05-Jul-2021 15:24)on July 24, 2021 at 10:51 pm
RAINBOW Long Live Rock N Roll (1978 UK injection moulded 7" vinyl single, also including Sensitive To Light. The titled sleeve has evidence of shelfwear with some ringwear visible on the front & back but the vinyl itself remains in EX condition)