In May last year, Zakk Sabbath revealed they would pay tribute to Black Sabbath’s self-titled debut album by re-recording it as faithfully as possible to mark the record’s 50th anniversary.
It’s now been announced that vocalist and guitarist Zakk Wylde, bassist Blasko and drummer Joey Castillo have recorded the tracks for an album they’ve titled Vertigo – named after Vertigo Records who issued the original back in 1970.
It’ll be released on September 4 through Magnetic Eye Records with Blasko explaining: “We recorded a live EP and were wondering what we could do next as a cover band – so the 50th album anniversary came just at the right time.
“Compared to Paranoid, which is almost like a best-of record, the bulk of the material on Black Sabbath is deep-cut, really experimental stuff that was never thoroughly explored, so that was a challenge, not to forget that we wanted to meet our own high standards.”
To mark the news, Zakk Sabbath have released a stream of the opening track, Black Sabbath and revealed Vertigo won’t be available on digital or streaming platforms.
Blasko says it’s to “make the release feel authentic to the time when vinyl ruled the earth,” and adds: “It was such a cool time for those of us that grew up during that time.
“The fan experience with the physical product is irreplaceable with digital and streaming. We wanted to capture that authenticity.”
Vertigo will be released as a Digipak CD, on CD/DVD which will include a hardcover book with interviews and making-of footage, and on limited edition yellow vinyl. It’s available to pre-order now.
Zakk Sabbath: Vertigo
1. Black Sabbath
2. The Wizard
3. Wasp / Behind the Wall of Sleep / N.I.B
4. Wicked World
5. A Bit of Finger / Sleeping Village / Warning
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Black Sabbath - Greatest Hits - Textured Sleeve - UK - vinyl LP - £20.00, $25.00, €22.40 (New Item) (arrived 30-Jul-2020 08:34)on August 5, 2020 at 1:55 am
BLACK SABBATH Greatest Hits (1977 UK NEMS issue 10-track vinyl compilation LP including Paranoid, Changes, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, War Pigs and more. The textured picture sleeve shows very little evidence of shelfwear and the vinyl has just afew light scuffs leaving it Excellent NEL6009)
- Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath + obi - Japanese - vinyl LP - £195.00, $243.75, €218.40 (New Item) (arrived 28-Jul-2020 15:51)on August 5, 2020 at 1:55 am
BLACK SABBATH Black Sabbath (Attention! 1975 Japanese-only 8-track vinyl LP compilation, housed in a unique & deluxe picture sleeve with English lyrics on the back plus the rarer-than-thou obi-strip with '75 Attention!' logo. The sleeve& obi-strip show minimal wear and the vinyl remains in fantastic near 'as new' condition PAT-1003)
- Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Australian - vinyl LP - £95.00, $118.75, €106.40 (New Item) (arrived 28-Jul-2020 15:47)on August 5, 2020 at 1:55 am
BLACK SABBATH Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Rare 1973 Australian 8-track LP on the Vertigo 'spaceship' label with 'MX171207/8' matrices, front laminated gatefold picture sleeve. Both the sleeve & vinyl appear near mint)
- Black Sabbath - Vol. 4 - French - vinyl LP - £20.00, $25.00, €22.40 (New Item) (arrived 28-Jul-2020 12:43)on August 5, 2020 at 1:55 am
BLACK SABBATH Vol. 4 (Late 70s French Nems label issue of the 1972 10-track LP with 'Made In France' clearly printed on the labels, including Wheels Of Confusion, Tomorrow's Dream, Changes & Supernaut, glossy gatefold picture sleeve with Nems printed in the bottom left corner. The sleeve has a tiny thumbnail split in the top edge & otherwise shows just light shelf wear whilst the vinyl is Excellent with barely any play NEL6005)
- Black Sabbath - Sabotage - UK - vinyl LP - £15.00, $18.75, €16.80 (New Item) (arrived 28-Jul-2020 12:37)on August 5, 2020 at 1:55 am
BLACK SABBATH Sabotage (1982 UK Nems label issue of the 1975 8-track LP, housed in a glossy picture sleeve featuring the 'mirror' artwork. The sleeve is Excellent with a little edge scuffing & the vinyl remains in Excellent condition with few signs of play NEL6018)