In May last year, Zakk Sabbath revealed they would pay tribute to Black Sabbath’s self-titled debut album by re-recording it as faithfully as possible to mark the record’s 50th anniversary.
It’s now been announced that vocalist and guitarist Zakk Wylde, bassist Blasko and drummer Joey Castillo have recorded the tracks for an album they’ve titled Vertigo – named after Vertigo Records who issued the original back in 1970.
It’ll be released on September 4 through Magnetic Eye Records with Blasko explaining: “We recorded a live EP and were wondering what we could do next as a cover band – so the 50th album anniversary came just at the right time.
“Compared to Paranoid, which is almost like a best-of record, the bulk of the material on Black Sabbath is deep-cut, really experimental stuff that was never thoroughly explored, so that was a challenge, not to forget that we wanted to meet our own high standards.”
To mark the news, Zakk Sabbath have released a stream of the opening track, Black Sabbath and revealed Vertigo won’t be available on digital or streaming platforms.
Blasko says it’s to “make the release feel authentic to the time when vinyl ruled the earth,” and adds: “It was such a cool time for those of us that grew up during that time.
“The fan experience with the physical product is irreplaceable with digital and streaming. We wanted to capture that authenticity.”
Vertigo will be released as a Digipak CD, on CD/DVD which will include a hardcover book with interviews and making-of footage, and on limited edition yellow vinyl. It’s available to pre-order now.
Zakk Sabbath: Vertigo
1. Black Sabbath
2. The Wizard
3. Wasp / Behind the Wall of Sleep / N.I.B
4. Wicked World
5. A Bit of Finger / Sleeping Village / Warning
EIL.COM Favourite Music Update Rare CDs, CD Singles, Rare Records, Vinyl Records, Albums and Music
- Black Sabbath - Paranoid - 180gm - US - vinyl LP - £34.99, $43.74, €39.19 (New Item) (arrived 18-Jan-2021 15:23)on January 19, 2021 at 3:12 pm
BLACK SABBATH Paranoid (Circa 2006 US exclusive limited edition 8-track LP pressed on HIGH DEFINITION PREMIUM 180gram VIRGIN VINYL, originally released in 1970, including the classic title track and 'War Pigs', housed in a picture sleeve based on the Dutch design with 'NEMS' on the front sleeve, and remains factory sealed in the hype-stickered shrink)
- Black Sabbath - Blackest Sabbath - Sealed - German - 2-LP vinyl set - £60.00, $75.00, €67.20 (New Item) (arrived 07-Dec-2020 12:20)on January 19, 2021 at 3:12 pm
BLACK SABBATH Blackest Sabbath (Rare 1989 German-pressed 18-track double vinyl LP including a collection of their greatest tracks from 1970-1987, embossed gatefold picture sleeve with picture inners. The copy is still sealed, therefore remainsas new and unplayed)
- Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy - Japanese - vinyl LP - £65.00, $81.25, €72.80 (New Item) (arrived 20-Oct-2020 12:30)on January 19, 2021 at 3:12 pm
BLACK SABBATH Technical Ecstasy (1980 Japanese issue of the 1978 8-track vinyl LP including the single It's Alright. The back-pasted picture sleeve comes with the Japanese text / lyric insert plus the yellow 'Heavy Metal 80' series obi-strip. The sleeve displays minimal wear and the vinyl looks barely played 15PR-24)
- Black Sabbath - Seventh Star - Japanese - vinyl LP - Promo - £95.00, $118.75, €106.40 (New Item) (arrived 02-Nov-2020 08:43)on January 19, 2021 at 3:12 pm
BLACK SABBATH Seventh Star (Scarce 1986 Japanese 9-track white label promotional sample vinyl LP, including Turn To Stone and Angry Heart, featuring Glenn Hughes on vocals, back pasted picture sleeve with lyric insert and black obi-strip withred text 28PP-1017)
- Black Sabbath - Sabotage - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £95.00, $118.75, €106.40 (New Item) (arrived 04-Nov-2020 12:33)on January 19, 2021 at 3:12 pm
BLACK SABBATH Sabotage (Rare 1975 UK first issue 8-track LP with 'Nems Records & Tapes' logo and catalogue number '9119 001', textured picture sleeve with the same catalogue number on the spine & the back. The sleeve shows just a little light shelfwear with some scuffing to the edges & the vinyl remains in excellent condition with few signs of play)