Legendary New Orleans musician Dr John has died at the age of 77, it has been confirmed.
The singer, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, was known for his unique blend of music which spanned genres across jazz, blues, pop, rock & roll and boogie woogie.
A statement confirmed: “Towards the break of day June 6, iconic music legend Malcolm John Rebennack, Jr., known as Dr. John, passed away of a heart attack.
“The family thanks all whom shared his unique musical journey & requests privacy at this time. Memorial arrangements will be announced in due course.”
Dr John recorded 20 albums in his career and was perhaps best known for ‘Right Place, Wrong Time’, which charted in the top 10 upon release in 1973.
He was also inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by John Legend in 2011 and won six Grammy Awards throughout his career. The first came in 1989 for Best Jazz Vocal Performance, Duo Or Group for ‘Makin’ Whoopee’, a duet with Rickie Lee Jones.
Paying tribute, Beatles icon Ringo Starr said: “God bless Dr. John peace and love to all his family I love the doctor peace and love.”
Check out our catalogue of rare and collectable Dr John vinyl on eil.com, and if you have any items to sell, please call us on 01474 815099
eil.com – the world’s best online store for rare, collectable and out of print Vinyl Records, CDs & Music memorabilia since 1987
- Dr John - Plays Mac Rebennack - UK - vinyl LP - £25.00, $34.75, €29.25 (New Item) (arrived 05-Jul-2021 10:37)
DR JOHN Plays Mac Rebennack (1982 UK 10-track LP - Dr. John was always respected as a consummate pianist, but this album displays his impressive talent to the full. The picture sleeve remains a nice off white & the vinyl still looks rarely ever played FIEND1)
- Dr John - Jet-Set - UK - 12" vinyl - £15.00, $20.85, €17.55 (New Item) (arrived 05-Jul-2021 10:36)
DR JOHN Jet-Set (1984 UK 12" single featuring the Extended Version & Instrumental, glossy picture sleeve. The thin delicate sleeve shows minimal wear & the vinyl appears barely played BEG107T)
- Dr John - Anytime, Anyplace - US - vinyl LP - £15.00, $20.85, €17.55 (New Item) (arrived 05-Jul-2021 10:32)
DR JOHN Anytime, Anyplace (1974 US 10-track LP by the incredible wizard of swamp music, pasted picture sleeve. The sleeve is Excellent with some minor edge scuffing & the vinyl remains in Excellent condition with very little play BRM67001)
- Dr John - Tango Palace - US - vinyl LP - £12.00, $16.68, €14.04 (New Item) (arrived 05-Jul-2021 10:28)
DR JOHN Tango Palace (1979 US 9-track LP, picture sleeve with lyric inner. The sleeve shows little of its years with no deletion cuts & the vinyl is Excellent & looks barely played SP-740)
- Dr John - Desitively Bonnaroo - UK - vinyl LP - £25.00, $34.75, €29.25 (New Item) (arrived 05-Jul-2021 10:25)
DR JOHN Desitively Bonnaroo (1974 UK green & orange Atlantic 12-track LP, a fantastic album from the New Orleans blues legend, produced by an equally impressive member of the New Orleans musical community, Allen Toussaint, great metallic picture sleeve. The sleeve shows just a little light shelfwear & the vinyl still looks barely played K50035)
- Dr John - In A Sentimental Mood - German - vinyl LP - £15.00, $20.85, €17.55 (New Item) (arrived 05-Jul-2021 10:18)
DR JOHN In A Sentimental Mood (1989 German 9-track LP - a great album from the American singer/songwriter, whose musical fusion of jazz, blues, boogie woogie & rock n roll has set him apart from other musicians of his era, picture sleeve with credits inner. The sleeve & vinyl are in superb Excellent condition with only a few minor signs of wear & play)
- Dr John - Loser For You Baby - German - vinyl LP - £10.00, $13.90, €11.70 (New Item) (arrived 02-Jul-2021 12:58)
DR. JOHN Loser For You Baby (1982 German 9-track LP in the Babylon Budget series, also known as 'Love Potion' in the US, housed in a unique picture sleeve. The glossy sleeve shows some minor shelf wear & the vinyl appears barely played F/80023)
- Dr John - Cut Me While I'm Hot - UK - vinyl LP - £20.00, $27.80, €23.40 (New Item) (arrived 02-Jul-2021 12:56)
DR JOHN Cut Me While I'm Hot (Bayou Swamp Voodoo 1975 UK 12-track LP compilation by the New Orleans Night Tripper, matte picture sleeve with extenstive album notes. The sleeve is Excellent with some faint ring wear ageing & the vinyl still looks barely played DJSLM2019)
- Dr John - Remedies - 1st - UK - vinyl LP - £35.00, $48.65, €40.95 (New Item) (arrived 02-Jul-2021 12:45)
DR JOHN Remedies (Swamp Blues Psych 1970 UK first press 6-track stereo LP on the dark blue & mustard Atco label, the dark & mysterious third album from the Night Tripper, picture sleeve. The matte picture sleeve is Excellent with some minor ring wear scuffing with age & the heavyweight vinyl remains in Excellent condition with barely any play)
- Dr John - The Brightest Smile In Town - UK - vinyl LP - £12.00, $16.68, €14.04 (New Item) (arrived 02-Jul-2021 12:39)
DR JOHN The Brightest Smile In Town (1983 UK 10-track LP, glossy picture sleeve. The sleeve shows minimal wear & the vinyl appears barely played FIEND9)