Bruce Springsteen’s fifth album, The River, was a bold affair compared to what came before. Clocking in at 80-minutes and change, it featured tracks left over from the Darkness On The Edge of Town sessions, as well as new songs that would mark a darker turning point in Springsteen’s writing. One of the sleeper tracks from the album – at least on a commercial level – was Point Blank, which is beloved by the die-hards yet rarely gets a mention alongside the biggest hits of The Boss.
The thing that record collectors know it for, though, is that the Dutch-only 7” releases is one of the rarest records in existence. Not just in Springsteen’s back catalogue, either; it is one of the rarest in record collecting history.
It was slated to be the last European single released from The River in June 1981, however it was pulled by the CBS for unknown reasons. Physical copies of the single were to be destroyed, and it is said that only nine known copies survived and made their way into the wild. The picture sleeve itself is unique, and as well as the title track it features another stand out album track, Ramrod.
With so few copies allegedly in existence pricing this record is near impossible, however the handful that have made it on to the collector’s market have all changed hands for big money. Serious collectors would likely pay a top premium for a mint condition copy, and it is a true gem that really gives meaning to the term ‘White Whale’.
eil.com – the world’s best online store for rare, collectable and out of print Vinyl Records, CDs & Music memorabilia since 1987
- Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska - 1st - EX - UK - vinyl LP - £20.00, $24.60, €23.40 (New Item) (arrived 02-Dec-2022 16:01)
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN Nebraska (Classic 1982 UK first press 10-track LP on the graduated orange label, including the singles Atlantic City & Open All Night, with lyric inner. The sleeve shows light wear and the vinyl looks barely played)
- Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark - Tea Stained - UK - shaped picture disc - £35.00, $43.05, €40.95 (New Item) (arrived 12-Nov-2022 10:43)
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN Dancing In The Dark (Rare 1984 UK limited edition 'Cadillac' Shaped 7" Picture Disc single, also including 'Pink Cadillac'. This example has a 'tea-stained' appearance, this happened often to pressings of this type from the 1980s. During the pressing process they were over heated, over time the clear area of the disc changes colour to a smokey brown, however this has no effect on play. The disc comes issued in a clear PVC sleeve WA4436)
- Bruce Springsteen - The River - Dutch - 2-LP vinyl set - £20.00, $24.60, €23.40 (New Item) (arrived 01-Nov-2022 11:01)
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN The River (1980 Dutch graduated orange label 20-track double LP, including Hungry Heart & Independence Day, complete with illustrated card inners & fold out lyric insert, single pocket picture sleeve. The sleeve shows minimalwear & the vinyl appears barely played)
- Bruce Springsteen - The River - Complete - UK - 2-LP vinyl set - £20.00, $24.60, €23.40 (New Item) (arrived 03-Nov-2022 09:50)
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN The River (1980 UK 20-track double vinyl LP, including Hungry Heart & Independence Day, housed in a single pocket picture sleeve with illustrated inners, discography insert & fold-out lyric sheet. The sleeve shows just a littlelight shelfwear & the vinyl looks barely played)
- Bruce Springsteen - The River - Remastered 180 Gram - Sealed - UK - 2-LP vinyl set - £29.99, $36.89, €35.09 (New Item) (arrived 09-Nov-2022 07:47)
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN The River (2015 UK/EU limited edition 20-track double album 2-LP, the 1980 No.1 album featuring Hungry Heart, Fade Away, The River, Sherry Darling, I Wanna Marry You, and more. Remastered from the original source tapesand pressed on two 180-gram audiophile vinyl records, housed inside a faithful recreation of the original LP packaging. Hype sticker & factory sealed. Essential)
- Bruce Springsteen - Better Days - UK - 12" picture disc - £30.00, $36.90, €35.10 (New Item) (arrived 12-Nov-2022 10:14)
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN Better Days (1992 UK limited edition 3-track 12" Picture Disc single, also including Part Man Part Monkey and a live version of Tougher Than The Rest recorded at the LA Sports Arena on 27th April 1988, housed in its original barcode-stickered clear PVC sleeve)
- Bruce Springsteen - Streets Of Philadelphia - Hype Stickered - UK - 12" picture disc - £40.00, $49.20, €46.80 (New Item) (arrived 12-Nov-2022 10:15)
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN Streets Of Philadelphia (1994 UK limited edition 4-track 12" Picture Disc EP featuring music from the soundtrack to the film, also including live versions of Growing Up, If I Should Fall Behind and The Big Muddy recorded for MTV, within a hype & barcode stickered clear PVC sleeve)
- Bruce Springsteen - I'm On Fire - UK - shaped picture disc - £50.00, $61.50, €58.50 (New Item) (arrived 12-Nov-2022 10:25)
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN I'm On Fire (Rare 1984 UK limited edition 'US flag' shaped 7" Picture Disc single, also including Born In The USA, housed in a clear PVC sleeve. The disc remains clear & in Excellent condition with just a few faint scuffsover time. A great visual piece for the collector WA6342)
- Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel Of Love - UK - shaped picture disc - £35.00, $43.05, €40.95 (New Item) (arrived 12-Nov-2022 10:28)
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN Tunnel Of Love (1987 UK limited edition Postcard-Shaped Picture Disc single with the lyrics for both tracks printed on the back, also including Two For The Road. The disc looks barely played issued in a clear PVC sleeve)
- Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel Of Love - UK - picture disc LP - £50.00, $61.50, €58.50 (New Item) (arrived 13-Nov-2022 09:42)
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN Tunnel Of Love (Scarce 1987 UK limited edition 12-track Picture Disc LP, his eighth studio album including the singles Brilliant Disguise, Tunnel of Love, One Step Up, Tougher Than The Rest & Spare Parts. The disc features two great pictures of Bruce from the album artwork with track details & barcode on the reverse, clear pvc sleeve)